1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings from Cape Cod

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I once worked with a kid who was driving around for a few months without insurance. He finally got it and one day as he headed to the parking lot after work, he hollered back, "I finally got insurance today. Time to head to the rotary and fuck with some tourists!"

I always enjoyed that.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Friend drove around a rotary at pace with a driver who had cut him off prior to entering. She kept waving at him to tell him she needed to exit and he kept ignoring her. I only wish I had been there to see it.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've heard 'em called rotaries or roundabouts.
    You'd be cursing under your breath praying for a rotary sitting in the traffic that would back up if they didn't exist. They definitely help the flow of traffic: in essence, you can keep all 4 directions moving at once rather than the stop and go of a traffic signal or stoip sign

Ashy Larry has it right: the key is you have to be an assertive driver. The timid drivers are going to get fucked trying to negotiate a rotary and count on the benevolence of their comman man/woman.

I can't get left.....I can't get left....

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How did we talk about roundabouts without this?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My town's finishing our roundabout now. There aren't a lot of people that are happy about it...

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

When did the Yes threadjack take place? Roundabout?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Two posts above yours, dude. 8)

8. digger

digger New Member

There used to be a zillion of them (circles) in New Jersey, especially by the Shore (the real shore, up around Asbury Park and Manasquan, not Atlantic City), but they've been eliminating them one by one.

Like others have said, the key is to be aggressive.

My favorite move at one of the few left, a two-laner all the way around, is to take the inside lane, and cross the outside lane to stay on the inside lane of the two-lane highway that I'm taking. I can pass about 4-5 cars that are going too slow in the right lane that way.

9. That's frickin' funny.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Rotaries are not a bad thing if they serve to slow traffic, and are small with only one lane. The English-style roundabouts becoming popular in Rhode Island - there's one in North Providence, one at Twin River, and one supposedly planned for Routes 2 and 138 down near URI. I feel more comfortable with those than any of the Cape rotaries.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, but FOUR FREAKIN' LANES????? WTF do you need a device like that? Amusement?

I got into this thing somehow and thought I was never getting out without taking out several people with me.

I remain amazed that there aren't more accidents in these things. There's a two-laner in La Quinta, not far from PGA West, that I've dodged trouble about a half-dozen times in the last three years.

Draft saved Draft deleted