1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenville, Mississippi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Jun 19, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Looks like I'm gonna be there for this year's annual blues festival. Just curious if anyone around here is familiar with the area. I've never been anywhere near the Delta. Any cool places to check out, things I should try to do while there, restaurant recommendations, etc.?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I went to Blues Fest three times while in college and had a blast every time. You bring your own beer -- at least you did a decade ago -- so make sure you got enough to last the whole day. And bring plenty of water because it's usually hot as hell. The whole thing takes place in the middle of a huge field and it's going to be a mud pit by the end of the day, so don't wear anything you really care about.

As for Greenville, there's not a whole lot happening there that I recall. If you can get up to Clarksdale, visit the blues museum.

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Paging Blitz, Blitz pick up the white courtesy phone...
    I think Doe's Eat Place started in Greenville and they're legendary for steaks and tamales.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

There was a Doe's in the college town I used to frequent. I'll definitely grab a meal there if I can.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I believe there are Doe's in Greenville, Oxford and Fayetteville.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

All of 'em.

Seriously, during the blues fest, there are tons of people in town. Find a hole in the wall from which you hear sound, go in and have a blast.

Just eat catfish. Lots and lots of catfish.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go to Clarksdale. Visit the crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil to learn to play guitar. Hit Morgan Freeman's fancy restaurant, Madidi, or his Ground Zero Blues Club.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Take your wallet.

On the Clarksdale note, hit Abe's Barbecue. Mmm, mmm, good.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Catfish and suds.

It's Shelby Foote's hometown.

10. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

Abes...

Best baked beans ever. Ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted