1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greentoe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 20, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, this isn't a thread about Chef's podiatry issues.

Has anyone used the site Greentoe.com? The premise is that you shop for something you want - a camera, for instance - and the site tells you the average and lowest online prices. Then you submit an offer below those and Greentoe presents the offer to its network of retailers (no idea how many they work with, nor who they are). If one of their retailers accepts your offer, you get the item, or they may counter offer. They boast average savings around 20 percent.

They don't have a huge selection, but their camera gear is pretty good and they some good home entertainment options as well. I've been on the site for a while but hadn't had any offers accepted until yesterday.

I offered $260 for a carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod that normally runs $410. One of their retailers countered at $350, which I accepted. Turns out the retailer was Adorama.

So I saved 15 percent and I'll save an additional $50 with a Manfrotto rebate on the ball head I plan to purchase. Not huge savings, but significant enough that I thought it was interesting. Beats paying full price, certainly.

Anyone else tried this site?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Never heard of it until now. Looks pretty cool, wish they had tools or bike stuff.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I gather that it's still a pretty small operation, but the concept is pretty solid. If they expand their retailer and product base, I could see it becoming much more popular.

Draft saved Draft deleted