1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenspan: Gen Xers pretty much suck at working

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If people who bitch about spending 20 minutes on a clips package ever have real power, we're screwed. We might as well launch all of our nukes now and aim them at us.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Every generation faces the failures and corruptions of the prior generation. Google "U.S. Grant" or "Warren G. Harding" or "Richard M. Nixon."

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Alan found out there is no such thing as the Easter Bunny in 2007 and hasn't been the same since.

I sort of feel sorry for him.

4. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I don't want you to. That was not at all what I meant. But there seems to be an impression that us youngins "think we know better," I don't know if that's the case, but I do know that previous generations have proven that they are at least as lost as we are.

5. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

You are 100% correct. It just seems that we are often blamed or denigrated for feeling the exact same way every single generation before us has.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK, we will make sure to conduct all business between 1:45 and 4:45 p.m. and we will limit all correspondence to 140 characters.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In my experience, Y is mostly blamed and denigrated for its perfect solipsism, its terrible work habits, its blissful ignorance and its expectation that the world bend to meets its every need. Whether or not the prior generation can be blamed and denigrated for raising you that way is a valid question.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Reagan had everything to do with piss-poor school discipline, where teachers' hands are tied and where don't-give-a-shit kids dictate the flow of regular classes in such a way that the only way you can get a quality education is through advance placement classes.

Is that correct?

No.

And because of the discipline issue, you have the very smart (who in many instances, still can't spell) and the completely dumb. Thanks of course, to kids who don't want to be there in the first place or whose parents blame everything on everyone but themselves.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I think every generation probably thinks the gulf between them and their parents is unprecedented. Boomers thought that their parents were fine with seeing them get their heads split open in the streets.

Twent-five years later, we were calling them the The Greatest Generation.

10. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I am not sure if the distance from us to the boomers is "wider than any generational gap has ever been," but how did technology create that gap?

I don't mean that as a confrontational question, I am genuinely interested, it may help me with some insight when dealing with many of the people I work with, who are boomers.

11. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, I teach now; therefore I know. No way in hell is the classroom settings I witness anything close to what they were 25 years ago.

12. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

If I can get all the business I need to get done between 1:45 and 4:45 and in 140 characters doesn't that make me more efficient than you?
    :-D

Draft saved Draft deleted