1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenspan: Gen Xers pretty much suck at working

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Faux Fascist Noise basically shrieking, "you lazy kids need to get to work."

2. Starman

A sane society would arrange a speedy firing squad.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's great, and I think a lot of us feel the same way. But over and over again, especially in the journalism industry, the message is loud and clear that it doesn't matter how hard you work -- your job will be gone if the beans don't line up the right way. Also, the dirty secret (or not-so-secret) of most employers is that they DON'T value loyal employees who want to stay. After a while, they cost too much in salary and benefits.

So you can understand why people might be working hard for themselves, but don't buy into doing something for the good of the company.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As the iconic Boris Badanov once said, "You said it, Buster."

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hard work as an ideal ended with The Greatest Generation. Gen-Xers are lazy, but some of the laziest people I know are parents of Gen-Xers.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think the issue is Generation X. I think the issue will be with the texting/video game generation that never seem to want to do anything that involves conversation or human contact.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

7. Chris17

Chris17 Member

One of the more frustrating article's I've ever read.

Quote from Greenspan - "Baby boomers are being replaced by groups of young workers who have regrettably scored rather poorly in international educational match-ups over the last two decades." That's not because they're lazy and unproductive. It's because while education is becoming more and more of a priority globally, it is becoming less and less of a priority in America. Not a good pattern.

Greenspan - "The average income of U.S. households headed by 25-year-olds and younger has been declining relative to the average income of the baby boomer population. This is a reasonably good indication that the productivity of the younger part of our workforce is declining relative to the level of productivity achieved by the retiring baby boomers." I don't really see how this indicates low productivity? Average income - of households headed by 25 and younger - has been declining. I can think of a number of reasons for this.... (1) as mentioned before, the focus on college education that Gen Xers have and their parents didn't, (2) a recent push towards post-graduate education, which means that by age 25 a lot of Gen Xers and later are still in school (and in debt), (3) the fact that Gen Xers have shown to enter the workforce later (because of college) and get married later than Baby Boomers (so probably "heading households" later).

And then there's the FOX host - "The degradation of our educational system, thanks to a lack of accountability and a general resistance to innovation, is well-documented." Really its thanks to the fact that nobody gives a crap in Washington, and in most state capitols. Education is always the first budget cut. Young people don't vote, old people do. So why put money into education when you could put money into Social Security and win votes?

Anyway.... not sure I follow Greeny's logic on this one.

8. Chris17

Chris17 Member

My God this is ironic.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think it's a bad headline. Did Greenspan actually use the term 'Gen X'?

Generation X is generally thought of as born late 60s - early 80s. That makes us 30 and 40 somethings.

Pffft. Every aspect of this makes me crazy.

10. Starman

Just more of the low-level drumbeat of the corporatist campaign to get rid of public education, one of the cornerstones of their overall conspiracy to decimate and destroy the middle class.

"You're getting sleepy.... these aren't the droids you're looking for ... lack of accountability in education ... tax cuts create jobs ... you're getting very sleepy...."

They just keep at it.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Greenspan sucked at working too.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You mean like ones who demand explanations about transparency in hiring practices because they didn't get a job and wasted 20 minutes of their time in getting a packet together?

Draft saved Draft deleted