1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenspan: Gen Xers pretty much suck at working

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to personal pride in a job well done?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why assume personal pride and the desire for a fair wage fairly paid are mutually exclusive?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Personal pride can be more difficult to maintain when the big boys are tossing talented employees over the side like waste paper, while expecting the survivors to seamlessly pick up the slack with a Coke and a smile . . .

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Noted. But from the time of the first work ever done for hire until now, we've known never to count on the boss's loyalty. Pride persists.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Coke is too expensive.

There's a trough of rainwater and gourd hanging on a nail out the back door. Enjoy, and then get back to work.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds great and all, but personal pride ain't putting the food on the table and the roof over my head.

But what if you have a boss that says, "Tough shit, taking your dog to the vet doesn't count."

Not every boss is understanding. Hell, you have bosses who piss and moan if you have to take off because your kid is sick. (I never had that problem, but my mom sure did when I was sick as a kid).

What do you do? 1. Take the day off and don't get paid for it? 2. Don't take the day off, and let your pet remain sick? Or 3. Say that you are sick, get paid, and take your pet to the vet?

Sorry, I choose No. 3. You're looking out for yourself, and your pet, instead of a boss that doesn't give two shits about you.

Draft saved Draft deleted