1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greenspan: Gen Xers pretty much suck at working

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Greenspan thinks we need to import skilled labor to guarantee that Americans’ standard of living is maintained.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well then, why did he marry one?
  3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Greenspan is a guy who played a big role in making sure we got into this economic mess, and once we got here his response was "wow, how about that." He should just STFU and stay inside his Van Ness apartment.
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he's wrong, but the quote they use doesn't seem to really support his viewpoint. He says that the average 25-year-old is earning less than the baby boomer generation did, and therefore, isn't as productive.

Did it occur to him that companies simply aren't paying as well now that they can outsource work to countries where people work for a third of the cost?

And, of course, Fox turned his comment into a rant about how young people feel "entitled" to government handouts, which I don't really believe is the case.

I think the biggest problem is that skilled labor is largely looked down upon by the younger generation, somewhat through the fault of the baby boomer generation. It seems like Gens X, Y and whatever have grown up under the impression that a college education and the jobs that come with it are the only worthwhile professions. "I want a better life for my kid, so I'm making sure he goes to college. He shouldn't have to work in a factory like his old man."

Working in a factory? Becoming a mechanic? Being a welder? Those are jobs for the high school rejects! Nevermind that most of the people in those jobs are making more than twice what most journalists are making.

At family functions, I believe I get more respect and admiration for my lousy $35,000 a year job than my brother-in-law, who is a high school dropout and a welder. He makes six figures and can take care of his family way better than I could possibly hope to, but everyone wants to talk to me about my job and nobody cares about his.

So some in my generation (and younger) choose to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a college education to get a job that won't earn them half the lifestyle they'd be able to afford if they went into a field requires working with their hands. They get more respect for it, though I'm not entirely sure what makes tapping a keyboard and clicking a mouse more admirable than sparking an acetylene torch.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, since they're screwing everything up, no need to conserve everything for our children's futures!
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Speaking as a Gen Xer, I'd think a big part of us not giving a shit about corporate is that we've grown up seeing our parents get unceremoniously tossed aside after busting their humps all their lives for a company that suddenly decided they didn't want them.

Loyalty is a two-way street. You want us to work hard? Show us the money, and show us some loyalty.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Greenspan simply represents the tendency of the wealthy to state that their ever-increasing share of the U.S. economy is due to failures on the part of workers and those are not wealthy, rather than their own exploitation of others.
    In a sane society, he would be in some prison camp following a show trial that took place sometime in the winter of 2009.
  8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I once had a conversation along the lines of what bigpern posted with a hairdresser. She was saying how her mother didn't particularly like that she was a hairdresser, for all the seemingly obvious reasons, but I pointed out that (1) that job can never be outsourced and (2) it's basically recession-proof. Sure, a few people might cut their own hair, but the vast majority won't. And given that this was Supercuts, you have to figure that she was actually in line to benefit from people trading down.
  9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What he said.

Companies that robbed them of their youth and vitality, also.
  10. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Beautifully put. I get the same reaction at family functions. "Oh, you're a sports editor.." I'm not one of the people who make America work. It's the guys who work in shipyards and weld who do. It's the roofers, the plumpers, the demolition guys and the electricians who make this country go. Working with your hands is a noble profession. I put roofs on and worked on a shrimp boat. It's not for everyone, however. I just think that we overvalue college and de-value trades. Someone's got to be able to install a toilet main. I doubt any of the college-educated folks can do that.
  11. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'll never understand that stance, particularly the last two sentences.

You want me to work hard? Just give me the assignment and I will. It is the way I was raised.

I don't work my ass off because I hope my bosses are loyal to me. I work hard because that's how I approach life and the readers of our paper deserve nothing less.

I know with 100% certainty my pay is well below several others in my department and it shouldn't be.

Am I happy about it? Of course not. But I'm not going to give less effort or take less pride in my work because of that. I couldn't live with myself if I did.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Give it some time. It gets easier. :)
Draft saved Draft deleted