1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Tea Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Ok. I'm off coffee and cola. Amazingly enough. It's been 23 days.

I'm sick and I'd like a green tea. Is there much caffeine in green tea?

And, is 11:30 p.m. too late have one? I mean, will it keep me up?
  2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Less in green tea than in black tea. Both have far less than coffee. If you're sensitive to caffeine, it could keep you up at 11:30. But if you usually don't have a problem with it, or don't think your abstinence has increased your sensitivity, you should be OK.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Green tea, unless it is decaffeinated, also contains caffeine. Normal green tea itself may contain more caffeine than coffee, but the length of infusion with hot water, and the number of time you use the green tea leaves can greatly reduce your caffeine intake. Experiments have shown that tea after a first 5 minute brew contains 32 mg caffeine. But if the same leaves are then used for a second and then a third five minute brew, the caffeine drops to 12 mg and then 4 mg.
  4. Pete Incaviglia

Thanks guys. I was off googling green tea. Apparently it helps you lose weight too.
  5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I will not be held responsible for any sleeplessness you may experience. I will blame your infant. :)
  6. Pete Incaviglia

Haha. You can't she sleeps 13 hours a night now. Straight through. 6 p.m. to 7 a.m.
  7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Green tea is great iced with mint.
  8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Green tea is said to work wonders for apnea.
  9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Am told Morocco consumes the most green tea outside of China. I'm responsible for a boatload of it, I'm sure.

It's also good hot with mint.

Hadn't heard about the weight loss potential ... might explain some of mine though.

Definitely better for you than coffee and absolutely better than carbonated drinks.
  10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Drink it all the time.

Makes pooping easier too.
  11. Pete Incaviglia

Apparently if you drink it in the morning, it kick starts and boosts your metabolism. And, it helps your body burn fat faster. Like 13 or 17% faster.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Pete, I drink a fair amount of green tea. I have seen the weight loss claims and I've read a lot about it. I think a lot of it is junk science hype being promulgated by the supplement industry. They sell all kinds of "green tea" weight loss products, including pills that make ridiculous weight-loss claims. Green tea is an amazing food. It is a great source of anti-oxidants and should be at the top of anyone's beverage choices. And green tea might even provide a small, but relatively insignificant initial boost to your metabolism if you don't drink it regularly because of thermogenesis combined with its caffeine, but the boost is very negligible. No one is going to lose large amounts of weight from drinking green tea. But look at it this way, if you diet and you exercise, green tea certainly isn't going to hurt any efforts to keep fit. And it has healthy effects that are better proven, like its antioxidants which may help stave off certain kinds of cancer.
Draft saved Draft deleted