1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

green day/u2 open up the saints game!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Sep 25, 2006.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Did Bono mention that George Bush hates black people? /runningforcover

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Mr. West probably never got a performance request by the NFL for this one ...

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're all sitting there thinking: Here come U2 and Green Day. They have no connection whatsoever with New Orleans but play well with television's target white male demographic.
    Put aside you cynicism for once.
    The NFL and Disney surveyed the poor, displaced and mostly balck population of New Orleans, and they overwhelmingly wanted U2 and Green Day.
    It was all about and for the people of New Orleans.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

U2 is still making good, relevant music. The Stones and Aerosmith haven't accomplished that since the 1980s.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What got me miffed was the total butchering of "The House of the Rising Sun"...for fucks sake...sing it like it was supposed to be sung.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Stones aren't the original group, either.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Drunk?

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

now THAT'S lol funny! ;D ;D ;D

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

C'mon, U2 gave the NFL its greatest Super Bowl halftime show ever...in the Superdome. Entirely appropriate they be a part of this - even Dubya makes sure he gets his photo ops with Bono.
    Not as obvious a Green Day connection, but I won't complain. They've worked with the NFL before - opening night in Foxboro last year.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

1. Stones
    2. Who
    3. Aerosmith
    4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    5. U2

11. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Bono never, ever sings a song in its original format. EVER. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.

But the last time U2 was in New Orleans (2001 Super Bowl) it was awesome. It was a very emotional time and Bono and the boys did a great job of delivering a great performance just a few months after 9-11. It rocked.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

1. Stones
    2. Who
    3. Aerosmith
    4. Tom Petty and the heartbreakers
    5. Rush
    6. U2

Draft saved Draft deleted