1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Day > Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc.?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Been listening to "21st Century Breakdown" on the iPod for several weeks now and am not getting tired of it. In fact, I'm more amazed at each listen where these guys are at lyrically and musically.

Granting Nirvana's importance in launching the entire '90s alternative thing ... is it fair to now say that Green Day's entire body of work at this point, particularly when you consider longevity, evolution of the band, ambition, etc., etc., puts it atop the '90s-2000s heap?

Is that sacrilegious?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'd say definitely yes to Nirvana but no to Pearl Jam. I've said this before that my top three from the time period you cited is Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters. I'm not the biggest fan of Pearl Jam but I recognize what they've done enough to put them up there. I could see putting Green Day in for the Foos in that equation.

3. Yes.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Green Day is far too preachy now. I think the term around our house is, "If Billie Joe from the first days of Green Day could hear the Billie Joe of today he would kick the ever loving crap out of him."
    Nirvana will always be king for "Pioneering the genre" but grunge has and always will be Pearl Jam for me. My brother listened to them way too much. Maybe that's why I liked death metal back then, they weren't grunge.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nirvana > Green Day
    Green Day < Pearl Jam

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Nirvana would've crashed and burned even if Cobain didn't die. Way overrated. Pearl Jam is just plain overrated.

Green Day has been a consistent hit machine, plus American Idiot was a thorough accomplishment in the studio. Come to think of it, I don't think PJ or Nirvana was ever that ambitious in the recording studio.

That said, 21st Century Breakdown is a tired retread of American Idiot. I just can't get into it. At all.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I hate the fucking < > symbols so much.

I was never able to figure out what they mean, cause I didn't give a shit.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Ross < symbols :D

On topic, Green Day, up through American Idiot, was a great band. I can't get behind anything on the new album...the songs I've heard are horrible.

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I don't know if that means Ross is less than or greater than, cause it must be too hard to just say less than or greater than.

Is Pearl Jam still relevant? They are not what they were when they first started, they were amazing when they put out their first album (though I always liked Soundgarden and Alice In Chains better).

10. Petrie

Petrie Guest

The little one always eats the big one ;)

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I second that emotion.

Pearl Jam > all others

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This song pushes Green Day ahead of the other two. If a group can write a song this great this late in its musical career, they are freeking great.

Draft saved Draft deleted