1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Day journalism FAIL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 2, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, as Buck points out, while XM Radio may have retroactively applied the term "Classic Alternative" to this genre of music, it wasn't called "alternative" at the time.

The station I grew up listening to called it New Wave, and it was influenced by, and derivative of, Punk and Ska. So, WLIR could include the Ramones, the Clash, U2, the Police, the Pixies, and REM in their playlist.

Green Day -- like Red Hot Chili Peppers -- was also influenced by punk, but it was a different time. They were each repackaged by record labels and sold to radio to play alongside Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So it's the same music, it's just called something else? Right?

Chili Peppers predate Green Day. Probably by about 4-6 years.

3. 93Devil

Is there a single Green Day fan who has not heard Jesus of Suburbia?

4. YankeeFan

I'm sorry, aren't you the one who brought that song up?

You said you couldn't judge the band without knowing the song. It's a part of their most successful album. It's from their "Rock Opera".

My point was that if you're familiar with Green Day's catalogue, you've heard the song.

5. 93Devil

But had you?

You were the one downplaying their career.

6. YankeeFan

Yes! This is what I'm trying to tell you.

It's not a radio hit, but it's also not some obscure song. It's on an album that sold 20 million copies, and is a concept album. Jesus of Suburbia is the central character of the album.

I'm sorry that a polished faux-punk album, released by a major label about suburban teen angst, written by a successful 33-year musician, did not resonate with my 35-year-old self.

When Pete Townshend wrote the famous line, "I hope I die before I get old," he was 20, and the band had not yet released their debut album.

7. YankeeFan

Most influential member of Green Day, Billie Joe, or Rob Cavallo?

8. YankeeFan

Rob Cavallo:GreenDay::Mutt Lange:Shania Twain

9. 93Devil

They deserve to be in the RRHOF. That really is not that debatable.

You cannot like them. That's fine.

If some of their music stands up, then almost all of their music does because it all pretty much sounds the same. If I was to gripe about them it would be they seem to follow the same formula for a lot of their music, but that formula does stand up.

I don't think they are that influential, but neither were 75% of the people in the RRHOF.

Their biggest plus is the length of their career, and they didn't do anything stupid like break out mandolins when they were extremely popular.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was an undergrad 1987-1991. I listened to a lot of underground and lesser known music through high school and college. I just don't remember anyone using that term at that time.
    It has always had little meaning when people attempt to use it to describe a genre. Looking at the 1987-91 time frame, there is almost no genre overlap between acts such as Foetus and Billy Bragg.

11. 93Devil

I honestly could give two shits what it's labeled.

Drums, lead guitar, bass guitar and a 4/4 time signature is rock music. If the Replacements were in 1995 they are alternative. The were in 1985, so they are called something else.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And that's why 'rock music' has no meaning. Drums, guitar and bass in 4/4 covers a lot of territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted