1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Day journalism FAIL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 2, 2010.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was looking up Green Day after watching them on the Grammys last night. I've always been a fan. But I never knew the three guys in the band aren't the original three. Seems like the drummer, Tre Cool, joined in 1990. Now, they didn't hit it big til 1994, so pretty much everyone knows the current three as Green Day. But the band formed in 1987.

The original drummer? John Kiffmeyer. What happened to him? Well, he left the band in 1990 to go to college. That's reasonable. Hell, Green Day wasn't on the verge of greatness then. They had toured nationally, but who knows where something like this is going. It's really only in retrospect that you can consider Kiffmeyer the Pete Best of punk rock. Who wouldn't want to secure his future by leaving a fledgling punk rock band to enter college?

Except that Kiffmeyer left Green Day to go to Humboldt State.

Except that he Kiffmeyer left Green Day to go to Humbolt State for his journalism degree.

And his replacement, Tre Cool? Dude had dropped out of high school. Then he got his GED and was in community college when the band hit big. He dropped out AGAIN to start touring. Billy Joe, also a HS dropout.

Egads. I hope he's getting royalties for helping found Green Day or helping write songs or something.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

newspapers were booming then

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

He'd only be the Pete Best of punk rock if he'd been kicked out while they were right on the verge of fame.

Leaving of his own accord well in advance of that fame? He's more like Stu Sutcliffe. Except he's not dead. Yet.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Green Day is a punk band?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Fixed.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's fair.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The lesson here. I will tell my kids to forget that dumb college idea and drop out and join a band. It's clearly the more proven way to secure your financial future.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If my memory serves, humboldt state won the division 2 xc national championships in 1983.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, it'd do less damage than a liberal arts degree.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great band, but sooner or leater they need to dress their age.

11. AD

AD Active Member

did someone just use the word, "egads"?

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It worked for this art college dropout.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted