1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green chickpea hummus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Oct 18, 2016.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Supremely spicy Sabra hummus is the best.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hummus is incredibly cheap and easy to make. ... Buy dried chickpeas and boil / soak. Combine in food processor with minced garlic for a few minutes. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice / a bit of water and pulse with the food processor again for a few minutes. Add tahini and hit the food processor for a few minutes more. Drizzle olive oil in with food processor going. Season with some salt and pepper. If you can find sumac, sprinkle some on top before serving. Messy to clean the food processor -- but you can make enough hummus to feed an army for next to nothing.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When do you mix in the meat?

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The hummus I recently grabbed for lunch was cilantro and jalapeno, which is a good combo for hummus.
    But this is specifically made with green chickpeas, which lends a grassy flavor. I ate it, but not as good as hummus made with mature, yellow chickpeas.
    This is just store bought stuff. Not from local restaurant.

I think I'm going to try making some at home.

Cilantro is delicious. People who don't like it are crazy people.
    I would by cilantro-flavored tooth paste if someone made it.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's very good with turkey in a pita.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

If you make a large volume like that, what's its shelf life in the refrigerator? About a week? Just wondering how fast you have to eat that much.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A week. Maybe 2, if you want to try to push it. If you put a thin layer of olive oil on top while it is in the fridge, it will keep longer than without. You can also freeze some if you make way too much.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted