1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green Bay's Chris Havel fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lantaur, Jan 20, 2007.

1. So he was basically doing the same thing the Hammel guy did for Knight in Bloomington all those years. :eek:

2. If you know Chris Havel, nothing about this should surprise anyone.

While Riddick's information is all accurate. It only scratches the surface of why Havel was fired.

This has been in the works for well over a year.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The pipeline has delivered some interesting information - all of which I presume to be true but won't post here. Let me say this: If even 10 percent of it is true, it's well deserved.
    Wow. Just wow.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh Moddy, you're such a dirty tease sometimes.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, that's just soooo wrong!

6. Moderator1

Let's just say: At least five examples of shit that would get most of us fired just for one of them, or half of one of them. I'm stunned - if what I'm hearing is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't - that he got past violation No. 1.

If anyone from the paper wants to PM me information that refutes any of this, please do. I've heard the same stories now from three people.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

some of the shit he got away with is just amazing. I'm sure it's also a reason why some on here are so bitter. It's tough breaking into this biz, but to see someone get so many chances while so many don't get any, it's just bullshit.
    If Havel was on my staff, I would have canned his ass a long time ago.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Geez, Moddy, at least hook me up .. after all I'm the one that started the thread. :) I just don't have that pipeline ... ;) :)

I did hear one of the things was him cursing at a higher up, not sure of the validity.

9. Moderator1

Lantaur my friend, that didn't even crack the top five.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You're right, although I think part of the reason he was kept on for so long was because of his connection with Favre. He was able to get exclusive stuff with him on a number of occasions.

Never discount what that means in the Wisconsin media market.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

And because of that he'll land somewhere. Or else have a nice article to sell to someone when Favre's time comes ...

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always wondered why the podium in the Lambeau press auditorium (it's not an interview room, it's a college classroom) was raised to the height it was.

Turns out, it was about at Havel's mouth height. Convenient for both him and Favre.

Draft saved Draft deleted