1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley Tribune sportswriter passes away suddenly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GidalKaiser, Aug 4, 2013.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

http://www.greeleytribune.com/news/7580178-113/schuman-tribune-matt-sports
    "Longtime Greeley Tribune sportswriter Matt Schuman, described by his friends and colleagues as an inspiration and a trailblazer, passed away early Sunday morning. He was 49.
    Schuman, who was born with muscular dystrophy, has covered the University of Northern Colorado athletics for The Tribune since 2008.
    Schuman went into North Colorado Medical Center on Monday for a routine medical procedure but developed pneumonia on Wednesday. His condition worsened Saturday and he died about 1:15 a.m. Sunday."

Chatted with him a couple times, also strung a couple UNC at MSU games for him. Condolences.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Greeley Tribune sports editor passes suddenly

I crossed paths with him early in my career. He was at one of the Broncos Super Bowls (I'm pretty sure the one in San Diego.) There was a lot of "Who's that guy?" because people were worried that it was some kind of gimmick or they didn't know what to make of it. To be fair, people pull some crazy shit at the Super Bowl, so they were probably right to be worried.

He was 100 percent legit. He didn't want any extra help from anybody. It was inspiring to see.

Very sad. RIP...

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Never met the gentleman, but wish I had. RIP.

4. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

The Denver Post's Terry Frei wrote a nice tribute to Matt today.

http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23795708/frei-sportswriter-matt-schuman-told-others-not-give

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Awful. Recall Matt ... as Mizzou said, wasn't seeking any help from anyone. Did a solid job with athletics at Northern Colorado.

Gidal ... is the SE still Scott Steinberg? Matt was a writer, not the SE ...

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Did an excellent job, and right, he was a sportswriter, not the editor.

Very nice piece by Frei.

7. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Re: Greeley Tribune sportswriter passes suddenly

www.uncbears.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130805zwhs7w Another tribute. I do apologize for goofing on the topic post; he was a sports writer. I guess I looked at it too quickly. The SE is Bobby Fernandez, I believe.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: Greeley Tribune sportswriter passes suddenly

This thread title is so obnoxious. It sounds like he had a no-look assist.

Draft saved Draft deleted