1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley (Co.) Tribune lays off sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Fredrick and Tweener like this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Mike Hunt would be scoring 20 points a night.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

“Citizen Journalist” is one of the great oxymorons that greed-infected ownership has tried to create. I’m not going to a Citizen Surgeon if I need a triple bypass etc.

swingline, Fredrick, Tweener and 2 others like this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The suits think "anybody can do this job." Case closed. Considering upper management/hedge fund management is the worst ever in journalism, I can't believe the suits constantly berate those in the trenches and are lapdogs for upper management types.

6. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Option D: He’s just there to monitor the bottom line and is too chickenshit to at least tell readers the truth.

I think that applies to all of them, pretty much.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I get the outrage here: The guys dumped two veteran reporters and made the product worse. But these types of decisions don't require much analysis.

Publishers have 2 jobs, now more than ever: 1) Squeeze every possible penny they can out of their paper so that the people making money can get out of Dodge just before it all finally collapses, and 2) Package these moves to the public to give off the slightest notion that they actually are trying to make the product better.

This guy followed the classic playbook.

First, instead of "talented, veteran journalists," he saw "two of the highest paid people in the newsroom." So he got rid of them and replaced them with some agate clerk. Second, instead of "we're just trying to squeeze out pennies, no matter the product," he used terms like "crowdsourcing," "innovative" and "better serve our readers" to make it look to readers like he gives a shit.

He gets a pat on the back, maybe a bonus or a raise when it's due, and it all happens again soon.

Fredrick likes this.
  8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That's why Fredrick hates suits so much. Not everybody needs to be a liar/sellout.

9. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

If you're going to be a publisher at these DFM, Gannett-run papers....yeah you do. It's how they rose to the position in the first place.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted