1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest video game sports accomplishment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Every notice that if you're trailing in the last minute, when you run the full-court trap defense and defend the player closest to the inbounds that the computer always chucks it down court for a steal? In my second season, I was actually trailing Cincy by five with a minute left and won by three points (I never, ever, ever, ever, ever miss free throws). The computer just starts gagging on itself in the last minute.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I sent you a pm about March Madness, but yes, there are a ton of tendencies the computer has that sometimes make it tough to switch from playing the computer to playing people.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Shot 55 on the old Jack Nicklaus Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf. Eagled all four par-5s and one of the par 4s (the 10th at Riviera) when I drove the green and sank a 45-footer.

During another round, I aced one of the par-3s, the one at Royal Lytham. That's a feat in itself, because the game NEVER gave up aces.

On NHL 2002, my son went 78-2-2 with the Avalanche. He had eight guys score over 100 points and three: Forsberg (221), Sakic and Blake, score over 200. The only game they lost in the postseason was in the finals to the Flyers. He even created a player, named it after himself, and won the Calder.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think on NCAA Football 2005 I am something like 128-3 all-time, two of the three losses coming as I tried to rebuild the Duke Blue Devils program. The other was a loss to a buddy while still using my User file.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I did something like that with NHL on the PC ... created myself as a center playing for the Devils, added lots of Lindros-like brute strength plus a great scoring touch and won the MVP with 110 goals, 185 assists and was also among the top five in penalty minutes.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only video game junkie here. I generally play Tiger Woods golf and Madden, but I did play some MLB (the one with Pujols on the cover).
    My favorite moments
    -Rushing for over 3,200 yards with a RB I drafted (Justin Carson, a computer generated guy) on Madden 2004. His backup (I ran a two back set) ran for 2,000 and my QB threw 75 TDs. All the games were with 5 minute quarters.
    -In the same season I beat the Bengals 158-13. Sitting in a zone, I think I finished with 15 INTs, 7 or 8 for TDs. Again, 5 minute quarters on this one.
    In MLB I played one season, but hit 100 homers with Manny Ramirez, 40-something with Ortiz (not good on the Pujols version) and like 70 with Sosa. In one game, Manny was 4-5 with four homers and like 12 RBIs and Sosas was 5-5 with five homers and six RBIs.
    -In Tiger my goal is the same for every tournament - shoot 80 under or shoot below 200 for the four day event. I'm usually good for 80 under, but there's only a few courses you can shoot under 200.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have found Tiger Woods (04, I think) to be very very difficult. I just cannot seem to get the hang of it.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

yes, a certain member of this board (whom i shall not name, to spare him the shame and embarassment he already feels) found this out last week, when i smoked his ass in NCAA Football '06, scoring 35 points in the fourth quarter with lowly West Virginia to come back on his No. 12 Pitt (rivalry game) after he went up by three TDs after three 5-minute quarters.

:) :D ;D 8)

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I won four straight national titles with Colorado State in NCAA Football 05. Settings on the third highest (All-American I think, Heisman is highest).

Spent two years at Navy, running the option. Went to Colorado State, first three years were average, but last four of my seven year contract were national titles. Contract expired, I went to Virginia Tech, where I lost in the national title game.

In College Hoops 2K6, I'm in my second season at Cal. First season, won the PAC-10 regular season title, but lost in the tourney, and then lost in the second round of the NCAA. Second season, after a stellar recruiting class, I'm ranked No. 1, won regular season and tourney titles in PAC 10, and in the Elite eight of the NCAA. Lost four games in Pac 10 play, but there have been six teams ranked. Three are in the elite eight.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Rushed for over 9,000 yards in three seasons with a RB, who won the Heisman all three years he played before he bolted. Have since won two Heismans with a WR, who I basically send deep. He's the favorite to win a third Heisman before he too, bolts. My QB will then ascend to the top of the Heisman list next year.

In a single game I was down for to Texas, playing as MD in NCAA 2003. Scored a touchdown with about 45 seconds left to take the lead, only to give it back with about 15 seconds left. Proceeded to move the ball damn near 80 yards on three plays. The final play came with exactly :01 left on the clock, completing a pass from 31 yards out, the WR barely got the ball over the goal line for a TD to win it.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

A perfect game with Nick Neugebauer on High Heat 2003.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In the original NES hockey game (can't remember the exact title) I took pleasure in scoring a boatload of goals for Tom Chorske, a middlin' winger who played for the Devils and dated a friend of my (then) wife.

Draft saved Draft deleted