1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest video game sports accomplishment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've got a couple.

* My personal favorite was winning three straight national titles with The Citadel in March Madness 2005. I was playing on the highest level, All-American. The key to that game is simple; run the 5-out play. Take a guy up top, swing it to the guy on the right, drag him across the top of the 3-point arc and dish it to the guy who originally had the ball. He's usually wide open -- or at least leading his defender -- for a layup. The key is to show patience ... if you're The Citadel and they've got all those crappy players, a jumper or 3-pointer is off the table. I played three seasons where all I did was run that play. I didn't go unbeaten all three seasons, but I did win the national title.

* Super Tecmo Bowl. Nobody, nobody, could beat me in this game. My best performance was when I had QB Eagles (Randall Cunningham) rush for 600 yards and pass for 600 yards in the same game. I was running backwards and out of bounds on kickoffs and punts just to give him more room to work. He was in "excellent" condition when I started the game; "bad" when I finished.

* I won back-to-back national championships with UTEP in NCAA Football 2004 for Playstation 2. I went 5-5 my first season and then unbeaten the next two. My trick? I got three fast guys in my first recruiting class, one was a RB, one was a WR and one was a CB. On my team, they played QB, FB and TB. I run the option like Grandma's double-fudge cookies. It's sweet.

* I'm currently in a 162-game season in MLB 2005 for Playstation 2. My team is 51-1 and Mike Piazza has hit 48 dongs. In one game, he went 4-for-4 with four home runs, including two grand slams and 11 RBIs. But the computer only counted the grand slams as three RBIs, which still has me miffed. In the same season, by the grace of God, I pitched back-to-back no-hitters with Al Leiter, who in his third game managed to give up eight runs in the first inning to end his stellar pitching performances.

All these examples were played on the highest level the game allows.

I need a life.

2. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

props to nhl 94 for being the first hockey game to incorporate both the teams and players and one-timers (revolutionary), but nhl 96 has much better gameplay. for one, the one-timer pretty much worked out most of the kinks by its third season and became much more fluid and lethal. it's been over a decade since i've played 94, but i broke out 96 a few months ago and still play it every once in a while. i've always considered nhl 96 not only the best sports game of all time, but the pinnacle of video game hockey.

i shot -17 on some easy course on tiger woods 04 for ps2 one time. that was awesome.

3. Not to brag, but ...

-- Averaged 78.4 points per game over an 82-game season with Hakeem Olajuwon in NBA Live 95. He shot 42 percent on three-pointers.

-- Shot a 58 at Torrey Pines on Microsoft Golf.

-- Hit 127 home runs and 355 RBI with Rafael Palmeiro in Triple Play 97 ... by June. The game couldn't count any higher after that. By the end of the season, all 9 Baltimore Orioles starters had 127 homers and 355 RBI.

-- Also in Triple Play 97, did a home run derby with Frank Thomas and hit a ball 736 feet (granted, the wind was blowing out of Comiskey that day).

-- Defeated Mike Tyson several times, including a couple by TKO.

-- Have not lost a game of Super Tecmo Bowl -- to a computer or human -- since 1992.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Hmmm... You sound like a formidable foe.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Try playing the Sims, if you haven't already. My second ex-wife used to invite neighbors over, surround them with hedges and watch them until they died from starvation. It's a fun and weird game.

6. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

That's easily the game I'm the best at now. I basically play a game until I can absolutely dominate and then I move on. I haven't played March Madness in six months now, because it got so easy. I wish I could say I discovered the 5-out play, but in an exhibition game against my friend, I was Duke and he was Charleston Southern and he beat me by 20. I was hooked on the play ever since. There are times that it doesn't work, but if you're patient with 5-out, you're gonna win darn near every time.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Never had patience for the full-season deals. I've flirted with some ridiculous number like -45 for a tournament in Tiger Woods, until I stopped using the power boost and caddy advice. Now it's more like, -18. But my favorite was a single play in Madden 03. Fourth quarter, late-December game against Tampa Bay (in Foxborough), down by four. Fourth down, :05 left, no timeouts, on something like the TB 7. Of course, on fourth down the game assumes you want to kick. I had hit the buttons a little faster than my eyes could register, and suddenly Adam Vinatieri is walking out with my backup QB, and the FG meter's on the screen. Fucking Hell. So I audible to a pass, any pass, and have Vinatieri under center. I think I still have the replay of his game-winning toss to Christian Fauria saved on my machine.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't remember. It's been like nine years since I played the game. But I think I was just taking my time, making sure to do everything right.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Wow.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I also haven't played that much since around January because by the end of my X-mas break when I played it incessantly, I was unbelievable at it. Interestingly enough, I have never used the 5-out play. I hardly use plays at all, the occasional 3-point play or play against the zone is the extent to which I used plays.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I had some pretty ridiculous numbers on NBA Live 95, but I can't honestly remember them. I had a few undefeated seasons in Super Tecmo Bowl, but there always seemed to be one game where the computer just COULDN'T lose. Head-to-head with friends, I was untouchable.

I had a golf game on my laptop in 2000 called Links 2000, I believe. I was average at the game, but there was one course -- I couldn't tell you what it was called -- that was easy. During a rain-delayed prep football game, I actually shot a 54 (birdied every hole but two, eagled one and parred one). I had people in the press box -- with nothing else to do -- actually placing bets. It was hilarious.

Draft saved Draft deleted