1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest video game sports accomplishment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Best. Game. Ever.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have several (I know, I know ... it says 'greatest') of which I'm proud:

* Beat Zelda-Ocarina of Time in three days.
    * Won back-to-back national championships with the fictional UT-Corpus Christi.
    * Threw a perfect game with Roy Oswalt (it was against the Expos, but hey, David Cone did it too) on MVP 2004
    * Won the Featherweight and Middleweight championships in Fight Night.

The one I'm most proud of? The original Super Mario Bros. I was the first in my class to beat it.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This goes back to RBI Baseball on the original Nintendo:

I was king of that game. Didn't matter the team I played, I won, always. Loved that game. One day about 15 years ago, a smart-ass punk/friend challenged me to a game. I beat him 1-0 with the Red Sox and Clemens pitching. I may have thrown a 1- or 2-hitter. I knew how to manipulate the shit out of the pitches. So George, the smart-ass/punk friend, challenges me to another game, but wants to lay down some cash. 50 bucks. OK, cool.

I beat him again, another shutout. Double or nothing. I beat him again. 100. Double or nothing. I beat him again. 200. Double or nothing. I beat him again.

After an hour and a half or so, George the bitch owed me $1,400. I felt like the king of the world. I really did. But then George refused to pay me. This is the only time I've ever truly wanted to break someone's neck. Had he beat me repeatedly and I owed him $1,400, he would have demanded payment. Suffice it to say, he didn't really come around the pad anymore.

Still, that was some of the best 90 minutes of my life. I was, always will be, king of RBI Baseball.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Thurman Thomas was no Bo Jackson in Techmo Bowl but he was a tough guy to deal with in the early-90s Madden games. I could never defend that off tackle run around the left side.

Good to see some fellow NHL 94 fans here. Anyone played the one that comes in NHL 2006? I've fired it up a few times and none of my old moves work except for the one where you go in the corner, skate along the goal line, in front of the net, wait for the goalie to commit and slide it in. Eveen then you can't score all the time.

Never thrown a ho hitter or perfect game but I scored 108 goals once with Brett Hull in one of the old NHL faceoff games.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not necessarily a "great" accomplishment, but playing every single game in a 162-game baseball season, plus the playoffs, is a feat in and of itself.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I was the Bjorn Borg of Pong.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is. I've done it three times and at the end you don't want to even look at the fucking game.

I know a guy who once played an entire season (all teams, all games, I think it was the 1981 campaign) on Strat-O-Matic. Took him something like 11 years.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I tried to play a team's entire seasons on strat-o-matic. Furthest I ever got was 40 games.

9. Songbird

This is a bit of a sidejack, but a buddy and I watched all 20 hours in a row of Ken Burns' baseball.

I'd recommend it to anyone who can do it.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

There hasn't been a hockey game that good since. All the new ones blow.

11. Songbird

Blades of Steel was pretty sweet.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I agree wholeheartedly, but that was before '94--The Last Great Hockey Game.

Draft saved Draft deleted