1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest video game sports accomplishment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

From a past season, when I was the Royals, I had a perfect game through nine innings with Zack Greinke. Problem was, the score was 0-0. Go into the 10th, and Alfonso Soriano homered off me with one out. Perfect game, no hitter, shutout, lead, all gone.

I lost 1-0.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I had one of those stat/strategy baseball games. Once I was using the AL All-Stars against the AL Greats. Board favorite Roger Clemens had the AL Greats shut out until the 9th inning. I had two relievers ready to go in the pen. By the end of the half inning, I was losing 6-3 and had used four relievers.

I also had a no-hitter going with Sandy Koufax once. Sal Bando Calrissian broke it up in the eighth.

Another no-hitter was foiled by (cringe) Joe Morgan in the 9th.

3. It's not sports, but I'm the only person I knew who unlocked EVERYTHING (meaning I did EVERYTHING) in Goldeneye on the N64.
    That's even more impressive considering I didn't own the game (thought I did borrow it for like three months).
    I also beat my brother in an 11-overtime game of NCAA. That was pretty wild.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Anyone beat Mike Tyson? I went down in all seven fights against the bastard (each by TKO).

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

OUTING ALERT: Shaggy is Harvey Haddix Jr.

I never played the Tyson version of Punch-Out! but I used to kick Mr. Sandman's fat ass in the arcade version all the time.

And then get thumped by the suddenly unbeatable Glass Joe in my first title defence. :-\

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yup. Several times. I have the game on my laptop.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

I took the mighty Southeast Missouri State Indians to the Final Four in the sega-released college hoops game a few years ago. I suck at video games. But for whatever reason, I kick the living snot out of my friends in that game. Once after a long night of desking it, I beat a friend of mine four straight times by 30+. It got personal. So I went ahead and beat him with I-can't-believe-this-is-a-college U. at Cameron Indoor.

He used to frustrate the hell out of me, though, when playing MVP baseball. Every other play was a bunt hit-and-run that ended up being a 1251526 putout.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't want to get into all my past triumphs, but currently, I'm batting .505 with Vlad 113 games into my 2006 MLB The Show season. He also has 61 homers, trailing only teammate Travis Hafner, who has 65.

It's on All-Star mode.

9. I rushed for 3,335 season yards and 35 touchdowns with Michigan's Michael Hart on XBox NCAA Football 2006, on level All-American with the computer sliders all the way maxed. In 3 years, he ran for 8,750 something yards. (He got hurt and missed 5 games his junior year).

Passed for 1,200 yards in a single game with Warren Moon in Super Tecmo Bowl on original Nintendo back in the day.

Career best in GameBoy Tetris was 300 and something lines. I wanna say 305.

10. Most ridiculous thing I ever saw, though, was my friend somehow finding a glitch in Sega's Coach K (1994?), and learning to bomb 3s with Big Country Bryant Reeves and Oklahoma State. He'd dribble out to the 3-point line just off to the side of the top of the key, and quickly tap the shooting button to do a quick turnaround 3 pointer. It was impossible to defend. He'd literally make like 55 out of 59 attempts and score like 160 points, everytime. It got to the point where we all refused to play him because that's all he'd do. We learned to do it, too, and while hilarious for the first game or whatever, it got old fast.

Almost forgot about the all-night binge me and a friend did with NBA Jam on Sega. We used a code to get Bill Clinton's and Al Gore's head. I was Gore, friend was Clinton, and in a single night (from like 7 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday) we beat all but 2 of the NBA teams, charting our stats in each game trying to get triple-doubles, etc. We left the system on to finish it Sunday morning, only to find our third roommate at like 9 a.m. had turned off the system thinking we accidentally left it on. We were so pissed at him for that.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Won 5 straight national championships with Indiana and turned them into a national power on NCAA 2K4 (my PS2 blew up before I could buy '05) on All-American level.

12. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I remember playing a dorm-wide tournament of NHL '94 on Sega back in the day. I made it to the finals, and I was down three goals playing with the Rangers against the Canadiens with something like 1:30 to go. I think I got two goals from Adam Graves and one from Messier to tie it with like 12 seconds to go, then won the faceoff with Messier, who went up the middle and beat Roy with a deke to win it right before the buzzer.
    In full disclosure to the kids on the board who never played it, it was amazingly easy to beat the goalie in that game one-on-one, but four unanswered goals in that short a time wasn't easy because if you had good defensemen, they could crush guys who didn't pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted