1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest video game sports accomplishment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My best ever game came on Derek Jeter All Star baseball, I believe the 1999 version. When I used to drink by myself at home as a bachelor, I would play three inning games on the rookie setting and see how many runs I could score. One time I scored 189 runs and hit 148 homers. I never could top that again.

My lowest moment was playing Blades of Steel. I hated that game because the time ran off so fast, yet the computer would cheat and score goals at will. One time the computer somehow scored 11 goals on me in the last 90 seconds with a running clock to beat me 15-14. I took the game out of the NES and destroyed it with a hammer.
    Good times.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I used to beat Tyson all the time. With practice it wasn't that hard to at least beat him by decision. Get 5,000 points and you're in. I did manage to knock him out -- not TKO, but an actual 10-count -- once, though. That was pretty cool.

One other quick accomplishment...Playing with the Cardinals against the Rams, I once ran a punt back 90 yards on the last play of the game to win a game of Madden '04 against the computer. Once I broke into the clear I was jumping, hooting and holleringin my living room like a total jackass.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Those guys were great. But they were no match for Philly's Car, the game's best pitcher, and his accompanying .000 batting average and inability to hit the ball past the pitcher's mound.

Why do I remember that?

Another video game sports story: I once was playing Mario Kart 64 on the top difficulty. Had won the first three races of the four-race circuit, but kept coming in second on the fourth race. The game lets you re-try races if you want, and every time, about 10 in all, some other character would jump out to a huge, insurmountable lead and I'd only get second. In a blaze of anger, I took the game out and threw it against a wall. Save a small crack on the back, it looked fine... but it would never turn on again. Since I was only about 16 at the time and my dad of all people also liked the game, I told him I accidently stepped on it in the dark. Henceforth, "stepping on it in the dark" came to be a euphemism around my house for breaking something.

4. JERRY BALL!!!

I think I had 76 sacks in a 16-game season with him once.

5. My three biggest non-Bo Jackson VGS achievements:

1) QB0 --- errr, Randal Cunningham -- running for 1,700 yards and throwing for 3,800 yards while leading the Eagles to an undefeated season and a SB title on Tecmo Bowl.

2) A 66-game win streak with the St. Louis Rams on Madden 2002.

3) Cam Neely's 91 goals and 99 assists on NHL '95. The Bruins won 61 games and rolled to the Cup, outlasting the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-game classic decided by Neely's OT goal in the finale.

HM: Coming back from 20 down against USC with Penn State to take the lead, only to have my secondary fail to KNOCK THE DAMN BALL DOWN on a Hail Mary.....would have been nice to account for Dwayne Jarrett, who caught the tip and streaked in to complete a 66-yard TD on the last play against my nephew, leaving a very UnHappy Valley in a 53-48 Instant Classic. He still gives me hell about that play.

Draft saved Draft deleted