1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest U.S. Olympian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 2, 2012.

?

Who's the greatest U.S. Olympian of all-time

1. Michael Phelps

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Carl Lewis

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Mark Spitz

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. Jim Thorpe

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Dara Torres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bonnie Blair

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Zeus

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  8. Mini Ditka

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Owens appeared in ONE Olympics. One.
    Yes, he won four gold medals, three of individually. That's a Great accomplishment. But it's a far cry from him being considered the greatest U.S. Olympian - muchless making the list.
    His impact was more social than anything ... But not really.
    He was actually treated better in Germany than in his own country. And that didn't change when got home.

BTW: I think swimmers have an unfair advantage in terms of medals as well. It seems they have a lot more events in which to compete than most other athletes.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As every one of these discussions does, we come back to what "greatest" means.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wasn't he kind of afraid of his wife?

4. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

BTTT? Release the hounds? Blue font? One of those catch-phrases HAS to work when a guy comes on here and does what I'm about to do:

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/19713121/phelps-rules-the-pool-but-former-track-star-owens-best-olympian-of-all-time

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I get what you're saying, but he should be an option. Dara Torres has zero individual gold medals and is an option. And your choice was Thorpe, who only competed in one Olympics, as well, and only won two medals.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Spock

http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/sp/ben-spock-1.html

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd go with Phelps.

I'd also have Jackie Joyner-Kersee on the list way ahead of Torres, Blair ... just about any female athlete really, and most of the men too. Six medals spread out over four Olympics, including the biggies in the most challenging discipline.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If not for the 1980 boycott, this guy would be in the conversation ...

[​IMG]

Didn't Edwin Moses have something like a decade-long winning streak?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Plaschke was interviewed on the radio about this the other day. He narrowed it to Phelps and Lewis, then went with Lewis.
    On Phelps, he said swimming is swimming.
    He gave it to Lewis because Lewis did two different things.
    I think he negated his own argument. Lewis runs fast in one event. Lewis runs fast and finishes with a jump in another event. To me, that's not much different than a swimmer changing from freestyle to butterfly to breaststroke.
    Oh well, I hate these "greatest" arguments ... Russell-Chamberlain ... Magic-Bird ... Mantle-Mays-Snider. Yawn.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He also wasn't allowed to accept money back then for the Olympics, unlike today. So he had to pursue whatever opportunities, limited as they were due to his race, so he could to support himself, including running against horses.

Even if there had been another Olympics in '40, he wouldn't have remained eligible, since it was just for amateurs.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The logical choice.

[​IMG]

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Swimming is swimming?" Really?
    There's a huge difference between swimming 200 meters of freestyle and 200 meters of butterfly. The track equivalent would be sprinting 400 meters normally, then doing it while carrying a 50-pound weight on your back.
    It's another big leap from there to the 400 meter individual medley (the toughest race in swimming).
    Bad argument by Plaschke.

Draft saved Draft deleted