1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest TV actors

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by digger, May 28, 2008.

1. digger

digger New Member

The tv characters thread got me thinking about who the greatest tv actors have been. I think one of the best ways to judge would be the people who had multiple top shows (especially if they played different type characters - not the same guy, different show).

I'll go with, in no particular order:
    Michael Landon (he was practically tv royalty - Bonanza, Little House, Highway to Heaven)
    Andy Griffith (Mayberry, Matlock);
    Lucille Ball (always the same character, but so good);
    Mary Tyler Moore (Dick Van Dyke, her own show);
    James Garner (Maverick, Rockford, some others);
    Buddy Ebson (Beverly Hillbillies, Barnaby Jones);
    Meredith Baxter Birney (she was in a ton of shows, and was always good)
    Bob Newhart (another who played the same role in different shows, but he was so good at it).

I don't think he was a great actor, but Larry Hagman had some top shows. I guess you could put William Shatner in the same category.
    special awards to John Ritter, who probably would be doing something very good right now if he hadn't died so young, and Michael J. Fox, who's career ended too early because of Parkinson's.

And for secondary characters, Don Knotts, Ken Berry and Betty White, Bill Dailey all have to be considered.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

David Caruso

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not to be a smarty pants or anything but have you watched any TV since 1985?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

John C. McGinley.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Dennis Franz.

His Norman Buntz on Hill Street Blues was outstanding, and his run as Andy Sipowicz on NYPD Blue may have been one of the best ever for a television character -- Incredible highs and lows and always believable.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

How about Geoffrey Pierson. The guy has shown up in just about every show on TV, from the Adventures of Pete and Pete to 24. Just about every character is different and he nails them all.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Franz was brilliant as bad cop Sal Benedetto on Hill Street.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

10. digger

digger New Member

Yes, but I can see you're point. I guess, to me, the 70's and early 80's were tv's golden age.

Plus, the people I mentioned were sort of icons (I think it was tv guide that once called Michael Landon "TV royalty''). There aren't a lot of actors now that I'd consider that way - there's more of a blurring between tv and movie actors, plus there's so many good shows. Back in the day, the people I mentioned all stood out, in more than one role.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Michael J. Fox was pretty good, I guess.

The dude was brilliant on Scrubs, and that was pretty much the end of his television career -- so far. He's always been incredible, to me.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

All "reality show" actors!

Draft saved Draft deleted