1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest team nickname ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. CameronYoe

CameronYoe New Member

Actually I have never heard of our LADY YOE being called Yoettes lol

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Gwinett Gwizzlies always made me laugh.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Probably was mentioned before, but the Macon Whoopee was tremendous.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

1. Watersmeet is in the next coverage area over from mine and plays in our area a few times a year for non-conference games. The first basketball season I was here, I specifically assigned myself to a Watersmeet game just so I could say I covered the Nimrods. Because, if it weren't for sportswriters, who would cover the Nimrods?

BTW, the Nimrod commercials spawned a mini-series on the Sundance Channel. A review of the mini-series by the NY Times said that the district pulled in half a million on merch sales after the commericals alone.

2. It's Kingsford for the Flivvers - the charcoal was created there too, I believe, as a byproduct of the Ford plant that was used to make the paneling for the woodie cars.

3. Effingham, Ill. was the inspiration of one of my favorite Ben Folds songs, though he changed the name of it to Effington -- "Are they effing in their cars? Effing in their yards? Effing in the trailers and the back roads and the parking lots?"

4. Hurley, Wis. is also the Midgets (located on the Michigan-Wisconsin border in the farthest reaches of the Western U.P.) For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth on Native American nicknames, I sometimes wonder why little people's groups never complained.

5. A couple other U.P. ones that I like that never get mentioned - Bessemer (Speedboys/Speedgirls), the home of UM women's basketball coach Kevin Borseth (lover of offensive rebounds), [Iron River] West Iron County Wykons (referring to a three-legged mythological creature), and my alma mater, the Gwinn Modeltowners (town was built as a company town for the iron ore mining company from a scale model, thus, the 'Model Town.')

6. Couple of other downstate ones I find amusing: Gladwin (Flying G's), Colon (Magi). Also Zeeland divided its school district into two high schools, the aforementioned 'Chix'. The new school's nickname: 'Dux.' CQ on the spelling.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Anybody mention the Magdalena (NM) Steers?

How emasculating

6. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Gotta give a vote to these guys as well, especially when you add the mug logo. Awesome to think high school kids are embracing the Criminal element

[​IMG]

Also, the Poca (WV) Dots has always been one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Hatlepool Monkey Hangers

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I have a Zeeland Dux t-shirt, and I'm in Central Texas. I found it at an outlet store for a couple of dollars, and I had no idea where Zeeland was. Thanks!

9. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

+1

10. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

The NEW ORLEANS Jazz

11. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I always thought the Birmingham Steeldogs was a great name. Birmingham, Ala. is the only place in the world you can find all three components to make steel.

I love the Florida Everblades, Lousiana Ice Gators, Macon Whoopee (Greatest ever), Montgomery Biscuits (original AND delicious), Enterprise CC Boll Weevils (Boll Weevils destroyed cotton crops and everyone planted peanuts. Biggest producer of peanuts in the country--Enterprise, Ala.), Highland Home (AL) Flying Squadron

12. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

I would also like to include Alabama HS:
    Hueytow Golden Gophers, Buckhorn Bucks, Cherokee Indians, Coosa Christian Conquerors, Hayes Pacesetters, Leflore Rattlers, Spanish Fort Toros, St. Clair County Fighting Saints, Dixie Aca. Rebels, Flint Hill Christian Flames, Frisco City Whippets

And the best AHSAA Nickname:
    Sidney Lanier Poets

Draft saved Draft deleted