1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest team nickname ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Georgia:
    LaGrange Grangers
    Cairo Syrupmakers

Florida:
    Lakeland Dreadnaughts (like the ship)
    Apopka Blue Darters
    Sebring Blue Streaks

Mississippi
    Stone County Tomcats/ Lady Tomcats (talk about some confusion)

Louisiana
    Kentwood Kangaroos
    Leesville Wampus Cats

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

There are, you're right. I've always found it interesting that there were WOAA intermediate and senior teams called the Monkton Wildcats decades before there was a major junior team in New Brunswick called the Moncton Wildcats.

Here's a fun story, Huggy. It was 1988 and the directors of the Durham 72's wanted to change the name of the club. Somebody suggested a "name the team" contest. One director argued against it, scoffing that some little kid would probably come up with a stupid suggestion like "Thundercats."

The rest of the directors looked around at each other. Hmmmmm.

There was no contest; the new name was settled right then and there. And that's how the 72's became the Durham Thundercats.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I always thought Lakeland Dreadnaughts was the coolest team nickname ever. Team names in my native Delaware growing up in the '60s were lame. My school, Tower Hill, was the Hillers. Total fail.
    One exception: The P. S. DuPont (there were schools named after TWO DuPonts, so the initials matter) Dynamiters.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Try Oklahoma, where every third team has Indians/Savages/Redskins.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Oldies from Florida. I could have sworn I posted these a few years ago.

Hastings High School Spudsters (from the potato capitol of Florida)
    St. Augustine Ketterlinus Mullets
    Sanford Celeryfeds (high school or Florida State League team; can't remember)
    Palatka Azaleas (FSL)

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

There is a school or home school in Michigan with the nickname Warriors for Christ.

Also, all of the Detroit schools have awesome nicknames.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Like Southeastern Jungaleers - could a nickname at a black school sound any more racist?

Draft saved Draft deleted