1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest team nickname ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When it comes to nicknames in Illinois, Effingham's Flaming Hearts are way down the list...

Teutopolis Wooden Shoes (right down the road from Effingham)
    Centralia Orphans and Orphan Annies
    New Berlin and Freeport... both are the Pretzels
    Plano Reapers
    Atwood-Hammond Rajahs and Rajenes
    Cobden Appleknockers
    Hoopeston Cornjerkers

And I know I'm forgetting a few others

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Detroit Mackenzie, which closed a couple years ago, was the Stags - same for boys and girls.

Uh, OK.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Forgot one here in Ohio.
    Upper Sandusky, an area school, has Rams for its official nickname. Of course a ram is a male sheep, so the girls team unofficially (and never in our paper) goes by ... Lady Rams.
    Lady Rams -- yeah, that's so much better.

I also have a rant on schools slapping "Lady" in front of a nickname for girls teams, but that's for another thread in the future.
    I actually wrote a story about Ohio high school nicknames a few years back that broached the subject of nicknames for girls teams. I found it very interesting that none of the all-girls schools had "Lady" as part of their nickname.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Frost Polar Bears (Texas)
    Most unusual name copied: Wampus Cats (Conway, Ark., Itasca, Texas and Atoka, Oklahoma) Damn, there's Leesville, La., and Clear Fork, Idaho too.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Diomede Dateliners. (Alaska). No doubt, a school for would-be journalists.

Gila Bend Gila Monsters (Arizona) Bet that took about five seconds.
    Brush Beetdiggers (Colorado).
    Alamosa (Colo) Mean Moose (or is it Meese, which would make Edwin a mascot?).

Kent, Conn., Marvelwood Screaming Pterodactyls.

Frankfort, Ind. Hot Dogs

Lawrence, Kan. Chesty Lions. Huh? The girls can't possibly use this.

Saux Central (Minn.) Mainstreeters

Blooming Prairie (Minn.) Awesome Blossoms. I want a bottle of ketchup already. It reminded me of the fried onion anyway.

Crooksville (Ohio) Ceramics. Please..."Break the Ceramics" is too worn here isn't it?

Chattanooga (Tenn.) Purple Pounders

Muskogee (Okla) Roughers
    Eau Claire (Wis.) Memorial Old Abes
    Rhinelander (Wisc.) Hodags

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Sol C. Johnson High of Savannah is the Atom Smashers (have the diagram of an atom on their helmets), but they ain't nowhere near the SRS. That's closer to Aiken and Augusta. Johnson High's closer to the H-bomb off Tybee than it is the Savannah River Site.

My attorney played against the Cunning Litigants in his law school's flag football league.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It was either that or the Master Debators

8. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I also always liked The Key School in Annapolis, Md.

Their nickname is the Obezags - Gazebos spelled backward.

Gazebos strikes no fear in an opponent, but Obezags makes it sound more intimidating, or something like that.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I guess cows would have been deemed sexist? So a gender confused steer was apparently the better way to go.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I will submit the team name of the first ever hockey team I played on in Calgary.

The Westwood Killer Dwarfs

Our jerseys carried the same colour scheme as the Hartford Whalers, just a different logo (a double W instead).

We were tier 8 Atom, which meant most of us had never played before and we were quite terrible. As well as small. So at least we got that part right. I think we won three games all year, none in the first half of the season. I happened to score the game winner in the first win of the year -- which considering I played net for most of our games was quite impressive -- I just happened to be playing out that game.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We had a quarterfinal in which our local team, the Copper Kings, was playing the Lady Stags. A girls' volleyball quarterfinal.

Copper Kings. Lady Stags. It was the 'Gender-Ambiguous Bowl.'

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Your school is all Bears now. Although I miss the Bruinettes.

Draft saved Draft deleted