1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's ok, dog. in a weird american pie sort of way, you're the fucking marching band. so go ahead and blow to your heart's content.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

i will work on my Top 10 list later, but Max McGee and Doug Williams should make everybody's list simply because of what they did under varying circumstances.
    As has been chronicled many times, ex-Tulane star McGee had a helluva hangover on that particularly Super Sunday and Williams -- of course --had to deal with all the questions about race.
    Williams just have might have faced more scruitny than any QB in Super Bowl history and he performed admirably.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He made me a lot of money that day. Deserved game MVP.

But his fumble on the first play of the second half gave the Packers the tying FG.

So, he's down a tick for me from the very top.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, in other words, If Tom Brady throws for 500 yards against the Giants next year and goes 24-for-25, he is off the list if the one incomplete pass he throws ends up in a Giant DB's hands?

Really?

5. Simon_Cowbell

Get back to me when he does that (BTW, I don't want that fucker anywhere near another Super Bowl until he is drummed out of town by Belichick, but if he did get there with the Pats, it would be beyond sweet to see him go 24 for 25 with a pick-six that cost New England the title).

I forgot that Davis ran for 300 yards against the Packers.

I'll take Riggins piling up carries 26-38 for 84 yards in the fourth quarter against the Dolphins over Davis.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Simon, I must say I agree with those people who find the standard you're using to be highly flawed. Without Davis, the Broncos lose that game by a telephone number (Elway sucked). One fumble don't mean diddly. One interception does not a performance make. Riggins was a deserving MVP, but you are unduly rewarding one play in your assessment of his game, just as you are unduly penalizing Brady, Montana and Davis for just one play.

7. Not to judge or anything, but don't they play for 60 minutes? I'm having a hard time wondering why we're only listing a portion _ albeit the best portion _ of their efforts.

I'll go for one not on the board: Marcus Allen against the Redskins in SB XVIII. Unlike performances like Timmy Smith, Davis, etc., who played behind a great O-line, Allen played behind an OK line and was easily the best player on the field.

Runner up: Jay Schroeder's 2 snaps after replacing Williams at the end of the 1st quarter against the Broncos.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Penalizing ONLY from consideration as the best performance, ever.

Yes, it needs to not involve turning the ball over while the game is tight.

I don't argue with any of those guys mentioned being named the game MVP though.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Chrissakes.

Everyone on these boards knows the final stats.

I posted the portion that made the performance.

And, no stats after halftime of a rout.

Draft saved Draft deleted