1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

FG gave them a tie.

So, not quite that pressure cooker.

But, you're probably right, should have listed him, too.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being a fanboi looser, but Deion Branch is the main reason the Patriots won SB39. He was the only person on offense who could do anything (11 rec, 133 yards) and his 19-yard catch set up the the finals points of the game.

I doubt I'd vote for him against some of these guys, but he belongs on the list.

As for who I'd vote for, it's Warner. No doubt. That was a hell of a performance.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know it was in a losing effort, but what about Terrell Owens' performance in Super Bowl XXXIX?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Had to vote for other. Terrell Davis' effort in Super Bowl XXXII was phenomenal. Thirty carries, 157 yards and three touchdowns, all while battling a migraine that basically blinded him at times. A great effort, a gutsy effort, one of the greatest performances ever.

5. mb

mb Active Member

One of the great football coach quotes of all time came just after Davis took the shot to the head that left him unable to see. Broncos were facing a 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2 when Davis came to the sideline and told Shanahan "I can't see". Shanahan busts out "Look, TD, we don't need you to be able to see for this play -- it's a fake to you. But they'll never believe the fake if you're not in there."

Davis proceeds to buckle the chinstrap and head back out onto the field. Elway scores on the next play on a QB keeper.

Damn, I loved me some SBXXXII.

/broncos fanboy

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That game ranks as one of my favs as well. That was a hell of a game.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

21-3 is over?

8. Simon_Cowbell

In the Super Bowl? Yep.

Grow up.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i question 18 points and you tell me to grow up? are you just attempting to come off as an asshole or are you one?

10. Simon_Cowbell

Yep. Grow up.

That is more in response to your entire catalog, but that post is the touchstone.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you appear to be instable at times, chief. ease yourself off the meds instead of quitting abruptly. your other user name did this same shit from time to time, but never at this rate.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Start contributing.

Or stay off the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted