1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

140 of it after halftime, when the game was over.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I went with Rice. Montana in the same game might have been just as impressive.

Young was unstoppable against the Chargers, but it was a blowout.

Allen's run against the Redskins was the best I've seen.

Plunkett to King against the Eagles might be the best catch, but there have been a few amazing ones recently.

Best special teams performace would be close between Desmond Howard and Fulton Walker.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Best reception is Tyree and no one will even match it in my lifetine.

Howard, while he shouldn't have been mvp over Favre, ended the suspense with his 99-yarder

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Forgot Tyree. Epic fail on my part.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That ball as caught by the New England defender just as much as it was caught by Tyree.

If he does not try to be all macho and hold him in the air, no way Tyree holds onto the ball.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I went with Doug Williams's Super Bowl XXII second quarter. I did so not just because of the numbers and not just because I'm a Redskins fanboi looser. I did so because of the context: Denver was leading 10-0 going into the second quarter. At that point, no team had ever come back from 10 points down to win a Super Bowl. Not only that, but Williams left the game in the first quarter with a hyperextended knee.

He comes in, limps back to throw ... and his first pass is an 80-yard strike to Ricky Sanders. 10-7. It's a game again. Before long, he hit Gary Clark on a 27-yard scoring pass on third-and-one. 14-10 Redskins. After Timmy Smith rumbled for a 58-yard touchdown run, Williams was back at it again, hitting Sanders with 50-yard touchdown. Then Clint Didier got in the action with an eight-yard TD catch. All of a sudden, Denver had no chance.

The Redskins set a bunch of records in that Super Bowl, which (hopefully) rendered Williams's status as the first black quarterback to start a Super Bowl secondary.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

You forgot Prince, the only reason XLI was watchable.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

A fact, yes, albeit a misleading one. A defense with two future Hall of Famers (one sitting on the bench as a rookie) is much different than a defense starting two future Hall of Famers.

9. Young Mr. Brady against Carolina is worth a look.
    So is Mike Vrabel in that game. Sack, forced fumble and a TD catch.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Simms for individual performance, but the Ravens in Super Bowl XXXV for a team.

11. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Swann. It's been 33 years, and people still talk about the catch. Plus it was Cowboys-Steelers at a time when they dominated the league. Swann also caught a long TD pass on a play where Bradshaw was knocked out cold.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then take out Young's performance against the Chargers. That game was over before the coin toss. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted