1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

His catching the ball is incredible. Considering nowadays receivers know a head shot will be 15 yards and a fine. It drew nothing in January of 1977, and Sammy knew this.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Should have been MVP. A joke that he wasn't, guarantee and all.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Second half was so much more impressive, I went with that, but those were his game numbers.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Probably some racism at work there, too.

There wasn't a black MVP in the first eight games.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

afterward, tatum said sammy was laying on the ground screaming for someone to find and pick up his eyeballs. sammy kept screaming that he couldn't feel his eyes.

also, watch ST's forearm. he swings from left field and cracks sammy about a quarter of a second before tatum came along.

those were some mean bastards.

6. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

Jerry Rice, Lynn Swann and Kurt Warner would get my vote over the others because they were the difference against tough teams in very close games. The other candidates played against inferior opponents, and the games weren't even close.
    For example, Steve Young's performance was against a pretty awful, by Super Bowl standards, San Diego team.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Though one with two future Hall Of Famers on defense.

That's why I quoted the first-half stats.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Two future Hall of Famers is misleading, though. Rodney Harrison was on that team, yes. He played in 15 games but didn't start a single one that year, his rookie season. In fact, he's not even credited with a tackle. Just one forced fumble, that's it.

There was only one HOF player of significance on that Chargers defense, which ranked 22nd among 28 teams in the league. In other words, Steve Young simply did what he was expected to do -- shred a weak pass defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/1994.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1994/opp.htm

9. Simon_Cowbell

A. I was merely stating a fact
    B. How do you not get credit for a tackle if you force a fumble?

10. i'd go with montana vs. bengals in miami in '88

didn't see that one on there

other than that, simms

a joke that snell didn't get mvp. had a hell of a lot more to do with that win than namath

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Marcus Allen's 191 yards rushing?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Rice over Montana was a close call for me. Couldn't have gone wrong, either way. Montana did throw one in the bread basket of Lewis Billups in the end zone that the Bengal dropped. So, I guess that was my tiebreaker.
    Yep.

Draft saved Draft deleted