1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. pallister

pallister Guest

I have been in Tampa Stadium, but never in an official capacity.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I went the homer route (Swann) despite thinking Thomas, given the defense he faced and that he did it despite the Bills having the ball for only 20 minutes.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why isn't Timmy Smith on this list?

4. pallister

pallister Guest

I thought that, too, but I'd be hard-pressed to vote for a true one-hit wonder as the single greatest performer in SB history. Maybe that's unfair to him, but that's the way I see it.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but it was one of the greatest Super Bowl performances.

If not Smith, than perhaps the Hogs, who opened up Jenna Jameson's vagina-sized holes for Smith to run through, not to mention their protection of Williams.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Ahh...my other criterion.

Had to be the most valuable player of that game in my estimation.

He had 117 yards rushing of his 204 after the score was 28-10.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

here's the greatest hit thrown down in the SB ...

http://raiders.fandome.com/video/88275/Super-Bowl-11-Brutal-Jack-Tatum-Hit

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Larry Brown in Super Bowl XXX.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Slammed Sammy White.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Only other one I was considering was Matt Snell in III with 161 of the Jets' 337 yards and their only TD.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the thing i noticed most after watching that play all these years later is that the announcers really weren't all that fired up by the monster hit, which would have drawn two flags today ... although the play was legal back in the day.

they slow-mo poor sammy getting completely throttled, but what's on DM's mind?: "tarkenton is throwing with more authority ..."

clutch stuff.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Simms: 22 of 25, 268, 3 TDs, 0 int.

Draft saved Draft deleted