1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl performances

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Here's a baker's dozen

1. I: Packers' Max McGee, 7 catches, 138 yards, 2 TD in less than a full game and with a hangover

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. X: Steelers' Lynn Swann, 4 catches, 161 yards, TD, arguably most iconic grab in NFL history, in era

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. VII: Dolphins' Manny Fernandez, 17 tackles, 1 sack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. XVII: Redskins' John Riggins, 38 rushes for 166 yards, 13 of them for 84 yards and TD in 4th quarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. XXI: Giants' Phil Simms, 22 of 25 for 268 yards, 10 for 10 for 165 yards and two TDs in second half

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. XXII: Redskins' Doug Williams, 9 for 11 for 228 yards and 4 TD in the second quarter, turning a 10-0

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. XXIII: 49ers' Jerry Rice, 11 catches, 215 yards, TD

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. XXIV: 49ers' Joe Montana, 15 for 21 for 189 yards, 3 TD in first half of 55-10 rout

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  9. XXV: Bills' Thurman Thomas, 20 touches for 190 yards, 31-yard TD run to give Bills lead in fourth qu

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  10. XXVIII: Cowboys' James Washington, fumble return for tying touchdown, interception, forced fumble, 1

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  11. XXIX: 49ers' Steve Young, 17 for 23 for 239 yards and 4 TDs in first half of 49-26 rout

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. XXXIV: Rams' Kurt Warner, 24 of 45 for 414 yards, 2 TD, including 73-yard winner with less than 2 mi

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  13. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

On offense, if a player turned the ball over even once, they did not make this list (Terrell Davis in XXXII, Tom Brady in XXXVIII).

Man, I wish Norwood had made that kick in XXV, so the embarrassment of O.J. Anderson as MVP would be properly amplified.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

There's gotta be better ones, no?

Off that list, I'd pick Young. It looked like he was throwing in 7-on-7 drills.

3. Simon_Cowbell

No... there ain't gotta be better ones.

I voted for Young, by a hair over Riggins, Simms, Williams and Swann

4. pallister

pallister Guest

The no-turnover criteria is a little silly.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Not at all.

Only best of the best need apply.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I would have been tempted to pick Thomas had the Bills won.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get a life. :D

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I voted for Young. He just tore that defense up.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Tempted?

Jesus Cristos

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Are you off your meds, simon?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I voted for Doug Williams, but I'm biased (having lived in Maryland up 'til that time and SB XXII being the first football game I can ever remember.)

The man had more pressure on him than any Super Bowl QB since Namath, the Broncos were the heavy sentimental favorites in my small world (I vividly recall my parents and neighbors at the SB party we went to saying they'd be OK with Elway winning this time, after coming up short in '86 and his heroics in the AFC championships; I was the only one still predicting the Redskins to win after they went down 10-0 so early), and his performance in the second quarter has never been topped.

Anyway, carry on.

12. Simon_Cowbell

I misinterpreted your post, sorry.

I thought you meant tempted to vote him game MVP... for some reason. I guess I visualized you as a voter at Tampa Stadium for a second.

Draft saved Draft deleted