1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl ... EVAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 25, 2008.

?

OK, kids. In honor of the asskicking (or monumental upset) to come, what's the best Super Bowl?

1. XXIII: San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. XXV: N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. XXXII: Denver 31, Green Bay 24

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. XXXVI: New England 20, St. Louis 17

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. XXXVIII: New England 32, Carolina 29

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

That's the strange thing. To me Super Bowl X had a better video package. There was so much violence in that game if it were played today there would have been at least 15 personal fouls called.

XXIII wasn't a bad game but the score doesn't indicate how much the 49ers controlled the real estate. If Mike Cofer makes a few field goals and John Taylor takes the right path on a punt return you're looking at a 34-16 sort of game.

XXXIV was a great clash of styles between St. Louis pass-happy game and the Titans trying to squeeze the ball. The tide turned in that game at the perfect time to make the final 25 minutes very exciting.

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

And when the Good Year blimp crashed into the stadium during X, well, you just can't top drama like that.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Incredible last three minutes.... It was 16-0 for a while.

4. Simon_Cowbell

III was none of that.

It was a fingertip from the rout everyone expected.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Not historical significance, more precise and exciting play. III, on merit, blew chunks.

And the Steelers were not always in control.

The Smith play would have tied the score.

And, by XIII, both Pittsburgh and Dallas had two wins.

The game was to see who would be first to three.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, the Steelers were not always in control. They took control with two scores right after Smith's drop. I think it is a different ending if the Steelers aren't up three scores before the Cowboys rally.

Agreed on the level of play. But I also think the game illustrated the results of the changes in the league rules, which brought us to the more wide-open game we see now.

8. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

Not really one of the greatest games ever, but a very entertaining one was XVII -- Dolphins score on a 76-yard TD pass and a 98-yard kickoff return, Theismann makes a great play to prevent a Miami defensive TD by tipping a batted ball out of a DE's hands on the goal line, and then Riggins grinds the Killer B's into dust, culminating in his 43-yard fourth quarter TD run on fourth-and-one that put the Redskins ahead for the first time all game.

9. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I vote for Pats-Panthers, if for no other reason than it was the last game I watched with my grandfather. Heck of a game, questionable decisions and a simply goofy play by a kicker. That fourth quarter was something.

Also liked Bills-Giants. That ranks second in my mind.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Super Bowl XXV gets a BIG nod solely for the facts that it was the first close Super Bowl in a while, I saw a week later while serving in the Gulf during Desert Storm and because of Whitney Houston's rendition of the National Anthem. Grown men all over that ship were weeping that day.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I went with the Patriots-Rams. I see your point about the all-or-nothing nature of Scott Norwood's 48-yard field goal attempt, but no one gave New England a chance in Hell against The Greatest Show On Turf. And yet, Tom "nappy time before Super Bowl time" Brady goes out there and marches his team down the field for Adam Vinatieri to bang through the Super Bowl-winning kick.

I remember that Patriots team fondly because it was the first time I ever remember seeing a team ask to be introduced AS A TEAM. After that announcement, it made all the Rams preening for the cameras as they strutted out after hearing their names and positions called seem all the more self-aggrandizing.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

And was still quite the upset. KC was a 12-point dog, and it was only that "low" because of what the Jets did the year before.

On a side note, how Otis Taylor is not in the HOF is beyond me.

Draft saved Draft deleted