1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Super Bowl ... EVAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Jan 25, 2008.

?

OK, kids. In honor of the asskicking (or monumental upset) to come, what's the best Super Bowl?

1. XXIII: San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. XXV: N.Y. Giants 20, Buffalo 19

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. XXXII: Denver 31, Green Bay 24

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. XXXVI: New England 20, St. Louis 17

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. XXXVIII: New England 32, Carolina 29

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't forget the upset factor. Because they won, then repeated with one of the best teams ever, people forget the Broncos were double-digit underdogs in that game.
    Plus, XXXII kicked off a GREAT run of classic Super Bowls. Since then, we've had maybe four of the best ever. Before that, it was the annual beatdown.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What is EVAR?

My pick is going to be Super Bowl L, just because it's going to look so goofy on a tshirt. Also, fascinated to see if anyone will be able to resist the urge to call it Super Bowl Hell.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

XX

NFL Network replayed this game on Wednesday night. I had forgotten how dominant that Bears defense was. New England had no room to breathe in the first half.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Boom is right. Most important pro football game ever played. Legitimized the AFL.

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

XXV: Even if you disregard the tension of the (1st) Persian Gulf War and the fact there were no turnovers in the game, you can't beat the drama of a championship game coming down to an all-or-nothing field goal attempt on the last play.

The fact that Norwood's kick was all-or-nothing, and not win-or-go-to-overtime, gives it the edge over the Pats' first two Super Bowl wins (XXXVI and XXXVIII).

XXXIV (Rams-Titans), X (Steelers-Cowboys I) and XXIII (49ers-Bengals II) were also outstanding.

IMO, XIII is somewhat overrated as a Super Bowl. After Jackie Smith made his infamous drop, the Steelers went up by 3 scores. If Staubach had had the ball with a chance to win the game, or Bradshaw had driven them to a winning TD in the final seconds, then I'd be more inclined to buy into this game. A game with a great collection of talent, but not in my top-five of greatest Super Bowls.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

XXIII was a dreadful game for the first 3 1/2 quarters, because the field was in horrible shape. Not a true bill, at all.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Patriots/Panthers.

And if it isn't the greatest game, it has to be the best 4th quarter.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was pretty damn cool.

As was Broncs/Pack.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Important doesn't always mean good.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good point on XIII. The people that blame Jackie Smith for that one also seem to forget the Steelers went up big and gave up a couple of scores in the prevent defense.

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Super Bowl X was a much better game than Super Bowl XIII in my opinion.

Super Bowl XXXVIII had some great moments, especially when Jake Delhomme decided to forget how mediocre he was and play out of his friggin mind. The fourth quarter of that game was as good any. Made Steve Smith a star too as he skywalked to reach passes a foot over his head.

Draft saved Draft deleted