1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest singular playoff performances since 1980

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 2, 2007.

?

What was the greatest singular playoff performance since 1980?

1. Magic Johnson's 42-point, 15 rebound performance in Game Six of the 1980 NBA Finals

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. LeBron James' 48 point game Thursday night

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Mark Messier's four point night (hat trick and an assist) in Game Six of the 1994 Eastern Conference

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Joe Montana vs. The Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Steve Young vs. the Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Troy Aikman vs. The Bills in Super Bowl XXVII

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Jordan's 63-point game against the Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jack Morris vs. the Braves in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  9. Michael Jordan's flu game

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Michael Jordan's 55 point, 1993 NBA Finals game

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. Michael Jordan's six 3-pointers in the '92 Finals

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Moses Malone.

And there have been plenty of trash that have come out of the college ranks.

Your pre-emptive bashing of Lebron as if he somehow lacks the mental faculties to handle the rigors of the NBA compared to those in the past is foolish IMO.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moses is the start and end end of that list. Oh, I think he needs to thank Dr. J for that title as well.

Time will tell for James.

It has for Garnett, Kobe, Miles, Kwame...

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How hard is it for me to pull up the Kenyon Martin's of the world that fall in that category?

You're not really proving anything other than showcasing your ability to selectively pick and choose who to illuminate as failures.

Considering the success rate being higher for HS players panning out in the league than college players, your point has little teeth other than the loud noise of co-signers who believe as you do.

4. 93Devil

Every NBA champion has been lead by a college player.

I cannot type anything more direct. I am not picking and choosing.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Maybe because college players made up over 95% of the players drafted in the past. Looking at the percentage, how hard is that?

But since we're into percentages, why repudiate the success rate of HS players coming into the league being better when compared to the success rate of college players entering the NBA?

I forgot. That's when it doesn't count.

6. 93Devil

I am looking at winning the championship.

What the high school players lack is the edge a college coach would give them. Kobe, Garnett and the like would have been All Americans, easily. But because they were never taught to use their teammates, play unselfishly, develop anything other than scoring, they are not able to win the championship.

http://ssbasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1132&CID=356192

All of these players thought they were so good that they did not need college basketball so they went pro. I don't think any name on this list past malone reached anywhere neat their full potential.

Tim Duncan has reached his full potential. Shaq has. Wade has. Billips has. Bird did. Jordan did. Magic did. Isiah did. Akeem did. Drexler did. Barkley did. Nash has.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

College isn't guaranteed to produce results. There are plenty of college kids that come into the NBA with promise but flamed out.

Either way, you seem more afraid of the success Lebron may have in the NBA while jumping ahead of the curve.

8. 93Devil

You need to wait at least 3-4 more years before you even think about mentioning James with Jordan.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I never did. I'm too busy looking at an original in Lebron.

I'm not interested in seeing the "next MJ."

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ok Kelly here's your last question: Name the player who scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

He lurks, but does he post?

From Bill Simmons today:

2007: Now in his 10th season, Duncan has never been better as an efficient offensive player (54 percent shooting in the playoffs), as a help defender and shot-blocker, as a passer out of double-teams, as a leader and competitor, you name it. Maybe he'll never top his ungodly 21-20-10-8 performance in the 2003 Finals clincher -- a forgotten classic that should be mentioned in any "greatest playoff performance ever" discussion -- but with the sport going smaller and faster over the past three years, amazingly, he's a bigger asset than he was four years ago. Once the perfect power forward, he's now the perfect center.

Draft saved Draft deleted