1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest singular playoff performances since 1980

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 2, 2007.

?

What was the greatest singular playoff performance since 1980?

1. Magic Johnson's 42-point, 15 rebound performance in Game Six of the 1980 NBA Finals

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. LeBron James' 48 point game Thursday night

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Mark Messier's four point night (hat trick and an assist) in Game Six of the 1994 Eastern Conference

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Joe Montana vs. The Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Steve Young vs. the Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Troy Aikman vs. The Bills in Super Bowl XXVII

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Jordan's 63-point game against the Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jack Morris vs. the Braves in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  9. Michael Jordan's flu game

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Michael Jordan's 55 point, 1993 NBA Finals game

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. Michael Jordan's six 3-pointers in the '92 Finals

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The 1995 Indians were a HOF offense and the 1991 Braves were just "good".

No doubt about that.

I wonder why Glavine's is so buried.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not necessarily the best, but worthy of a mention:

Willie McGee, Game 3, 1982 World Series. Hit two HR's, drove in 4, and saved a HR with a catch over the wall. Cards win 6-3. And like Magic, this was his rookie year.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I almost forgot just how untouchable jack Morris was during his playoff run leading into that great game against the Braves.

But what Lebron did on Thursday made me believe that we witnessed a football player who happens to be very good at basketball.

Out of all of the NBA performances I've seen outside of Shaq, I've never seen a player put FEAR into an opponent the way Lebrong treated the Pistons backcourt and frontline in Game 5.

I've played Div I football. I've seen when a players beating heart was taken out his chest, and I've never witnessed a teams heart being taken in the sport of basketball like that.

He struck fear into them. Magic and others couldn't do that.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Well, considering it was 13 years ago, I wouldn't call it these days.
    And when Namath guaranteed his win, it was a hotshot shooting off his mouth. No one really took it seriously. It's only in hindsight that it has gained mythic status. Had the Jets lost, no one would remember Namath's name or boast.
    Messier was a guy with 5 Cups to his name. He knew what he was doing when he said it. Oh, and unlike Broadway Joe, was likely he wasn't pissed when he made the guarantee.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan is on line one, and Larry Bird is waiting in the lobby. Kareem may stop by as well.

No matter what you did you could not stop them. That is fear.

Trust me, James is not there yet.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm speaking on the fear I saw transpire on the court that day. I played football. I know when a guys heart has been taken and when players are fearful of getting hurt when making contact.

The Pistons frontline was scared to death of Lebron's fury.

7. 93Devil

We are talking about basketball, right?

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Yes. And that's what makes his performance eerie as hell. I saw Lebron scare the Pistons defense like a db fearing to take on Earl Campbell.

I've never saw that before in a basketball player.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The thread says since 1980. Namath's not in this conversation. Messier's guarantee was huge for the Rangers. Bad for my Devils.

10. 93Devil

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070605&sportCat=nba

You know, Simmons is right. We need to remember how great these past players were. Jordan would destroy James every day.

There is no way James could be stronger mentally than Jordan. James never had a coach like Dean Smith. And that my friends is the real difference between the two. He would cry while Michael ate his lunch.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

We need to allow Lebron to be the original he's now showing rather than casting Jordan's shadow over him because our heads are stuck in the clouds over the overrated play of the 90's.

12. 93Devil

OK

The 1986 Celtics and Larry Bird would destroy the Cavs 95 out of 100 games. And the Lakers of that era would destroy them 93 times out of 100.

A great player needs to be great between the ears. You do not get that in AAU ball and in high school. You go to college to be taught and to learn. James never did this. How many straight-to-the-pros high schoolers have been the center piece of one championship team? We are not even talking about winning two or three or four or five or six.

Draft saved Draft deleted