1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest singular playoff performances since 1980

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 2, 2007.

?

What was the greatest singular playoff performance since 1980?

1. Magic Johnson's 42-point, 15 rebound performance in Game Six of the 1980 NBA Finals

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. LeBron James' 48 point game Thursday night

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Mark Messier's four point night (hat trick and an assist) in Game Six of the 1994 Eastern Conference

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Joe Montana vs. The Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Steve Young vs. the Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Troy Aikman vs. The Bills in Super Bowl XXVII

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Jordan's 63-point game against the Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jack Morris vs. the Braves in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  9. Michael Jordan's flu game

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Michael Jordan's 55 point, 1993 NBA Finals game

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. Michael Jordan's six 3-pointers in the '92 Finals

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It used to be a hot seat. When Namath did it.

But since there are about 23,000 athletes guaranteeing victories these days, not so much.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If you call The Drive overrated (especially the throw to close it out), you need the Inigo Montoya treatment, referring you to a dictionary.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

On third down and with a lineman's giant paw between Elway and Jackson.

And I have NO IDEA why I'm even indulging in such a ridiculous debate.

4. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

For one game, I go Flu Game.

For a series, Olajuwon's destruction of newly-named-MVP David Robinson in the Western Conference Semis (I think) in 1995 was one of the greatest sustained butt-kickings I can remember. I can still recall how Robinson's teammates were trying to get him to do something - anything - to try to slow down Hakeem.

5. Simon_Cowbell

You live in some Bozo-arro world apparently.

That is exactly what it was not.

6. Simon_Cowbell

How any Montana SB is a pick over Warner against the Titans... it's comical.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

How about a collective nomination?

San Francisco 49ers quarterbacks, five Super Bowls:

110-for-163, 1,493 yards, 17 TDs, no interceptions.

Oh, and five wins.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Apple... apple....apple...apple.....citrus.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I've always thought Tom Glavine's Game Six in the 1995 World Series was underrated. I'm not saying it's the best playoff performance in history, and Morris's outing was still better.

But he walked out in the biggest game of his career, threw 8 innings of shut out ball and gave up one bloop single to the most potent offense in the majors that year to clinch the Series. All while getting only one run from his own offense.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I voted for Messier, To have the game he did in the situation he was in was incredible, plus it led to the ending of the Rangers Stanley Cup drought. It turned him from a superstar into a legend. He litterally carried that team from a 3-2 deficit in the conference finals to the Stanley Cup. I still think he should have gotten the Conn Smythe over Brian Leetch.

I also would like to throw Peter Forsberg's playoff run of 2001-02 into the debate. And I hate Forsberg and the Avs. After missing the entire regular season he comes out and dominates the playoffs like no other. The guy was unstoppable, scoring 27 points in 20 games in the middle of Hockey's shutout era. His performance was so dominate that it struck major consideration for the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP even though the Avs were eliminated in the conference finals. The only time I can remember such talk during the finals.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Glavine's performance was great that night -- he was virtually unhittable, but Morris doing 10 innings is what ranks that superior, in my mind.

However, I think a rookie Magic being asked to play center in the Finals is the most impressive feat.

I'd also like to throw in an honorable mention for Pedro Martinez in Game 5 of the 99 ALDS.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Hack, I do think Morris's outing was better, and it holds a special place to me since it is the first baseball game I remember watching (showing my youth, I know).

But Glavine's Game Six is almost never mentioned among outstanding playoff performances, but it's been awhile since a non-power pitcher dominated a big game like he did that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted