1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest singular playoff performances since 1980

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 2, 2007.

?

What was the greatest singular playoff performance since 1980?

1. Magic Johnson's 42-point, 15 rebound performance in Game Six of the 1980 NBA Finals

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. LeBron James' 48 point game Thursday night

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Mark Messier's four point night (hat trick and an assist) in Game Six of the 1994 Eastern Conference

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. Joe Montana vs. The Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Steve Young vs. the Chargers in Super Bowl XXIX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Troy Aikman vs. The Bills in Super Bowl XXVII

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Jordan's 63-point game against the Celtics

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Jack Morris vs. the Braves in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  9. Michael Jordan's flu game

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Michael Jordan's 55 point, 1993 NBA Finals game

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  11. Michael Jordan's six 3-pointers in the '92 Finals

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

His team lost but Barry Bonds was pretty dominant in the world series a few years ago.

Phil Simms in the Giants rout of the Broncos in the Super Bowl

Another losing dominant performance -- Thurman Thomas in the loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl. In fact, he'd probably be on the list if Norwood's kick was about 15 feet to the left.

Wayne Gretzky scored like 49 points in the 1985 points.

All of that said, I think the flu game by Jordan wins it for me.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Magic Johnson wasn't Steve Nash or Isiah Thomas at point guard. He was a 6-9 1/2, 235-pound point guard.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Junkie's looking for a fight. ;D

You know, just because it happened to your team (I'm assuming it's your team) doesn't mean it's "vastly over-rated."

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Worth the hype? No, what really pisses me off is how nobody lets LeBron be LeBron.

"The next Jordan, the next Magic, blah, blah, blah." LeBron will NEVER be like Magic or MJ and the orgasms people are having with comparing LeBron to those two is beyond sickening.

Is it entirely possible that LeBron can just be LeBron? He looks pretty good right now to me playing like LeBron. And winning a championship of some sort will help too. He's playing well, but I'm just a wait-and-see person. When LeBron wins it all, I'd be the first to pat the man on the back.

And until he wins gold in the international game, he's still LeBronze. :)

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Magic's game, playing out of position, as a rookie, is my far and away choice.

Can't see how Jordan's effort against the Celtics can top LeBron's, since the Bulls lost.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's easy.

Because those Celtics were exponentially better than this year's Piston, because he scored 60-some points, and because he did it in Boston Garden.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Junkie, the Celtics had one of the top (if not No. 1) defenses in the league that year. Look it up. They won 67 games. They won the NBA title.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Celtics that year were first in the league in points allowed per hundred posessions.

It was a different era, but they played defense. And they tried quite a few different guys on Jordan in that game.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

What made Messier's game so special is that he put himself on the hotseat by "guaranteeing" the win. To then follow up that boast with the three goals and assist essentially made New Yorkers love the guy forever.
    Deservedly so.

10. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Fixed?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I thought it was understood that first place would be the fewest points allowed, Terrence.

But yeah, you are correct.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

zagoshe, Thomas did all that damage with 18-19 minutes time of possession.

Draft saved Draft deleted