1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Single Baseball Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!" - Tom Cheek, Toronto, October 23, 1993.

Nope.

"Here's another shot, right in front. They SCORE! HENDERSON HAS SCORED FOR CANADA!!" - Foster Hewitt, Moscow, September 28, 1972.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Harry and Piersall had this exchange when they were doing the Chisox:
    Harry: "Piersall, you're crazy.''
    Piersall: "That's right, Harry. And I've got the papers to prove it.''

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Buck: Great job posting the Scully audio and text describing the ninth inning of Koufax's perfecto. That was a pro at the top of his game.

And regarding the '51 Giants-Dodgers playoff game as the "Greatest call ever'' that game also spawned one of the greatest sports stories ever. Red Smith's column on that game is a top five all-timer. As mentioned earlier, Branca wore 13. Smith's column ended by describing Branca's long walk to the center field club house and with the words, "The number on his back looked huge. Thirteen.''

Ah, the good ol' days when baseball was baseball.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The Pittsburgh chapter of SportsJournalists.com will appreciate this one, from the bottom of the 10th inning on July 12, 1997.

"The Pirates have found it impossible to score a run since we resumed action on Thursday. Scoreless game, 10th inning, 0-1 pitch, DRIVE, deep left field! Home run! No-hitter! You've got it all!"

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It was Milo Hamilton with the Aaron HR call.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bob Murphy: "The Mets win! The Mets win the damn thing by a score of 10 to 9!!!"

Vin Scully: "If a picture is worth a thousand words, you have seen about a MILLION words."

Also props to whomever mentioned the understated Joe Castiglione (sp?) call of the Red Sox World Series win. "The Boston Red Sox have won the World Series. Can you believe it?"

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ugh. Scully, same game:, after a perfect description about what a roll of the dice it was:

"In a year which has been so improbable, the impossible has happened!"

Professional, pointed, and no one acts like he's seen a game before like Scully. "I don't believe what I just saw!!" um, yes you do. You've called games for DECADES.

Honorbale mention, recent vintage, considering how overstated he can be: Joe Buck, last pitch of 2002 Game 6, when Percival got the strikeout to finsih the Angels' huge comeback:

"We'll see you tomorrow."

Excellent. Act like you've seen a damn game before.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Another Scully:

"A little roller up along first ... behind the bag ... it gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight! And the Mets win it!"

Vin Scully will never, ever EVER get old to listen to.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

It was Dairy day at the park and Miss Cheesecake came in to give the guys some cheesecake.

Jack Buck: So, what did you think of Miss Cheesecake?
    Mike Shannon (thinking he had said "this cheesecake"): I could go for a piece of that right now!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry dude but who had ever seen a man damn near crippled hit a WALKOFF (hi SC!!!) home run off the most dominant closer in the game in Game One of the World Series? A perfect call.

As for Joe Buck, he's just ripping off his dad. I can't stomach those "see you tomorrow" or, in the case of Game Four of the 2004 ALCS, "See you tonight." Act like you've earned your gig on anyhing other than your last name.

11. Piotr Rasputin

If two announcers make a call in the same game, and one of them is Scully . . . . . the other man's call should never be the one identified as "perfect," except if it approaches Scully's in quality.

Joe Buck is not great. But I don't put him in the realm of say, a Jeremy Schaap as far as guys who pretty clearly wouldn't be where they are without daddy. If I'm not mistaken, Buck went straight from college to Louisville, someone's Triple A affiliate. He did not earn his shot. But I don't think he has made an ass of himself and the viewer, unlike say, an Andersn Cooper, who used mommy's money to make a name and now caters to viewers who are idiots.

But I digress.

As for Joe Buck . . . . I liked those "see you tomorrow/tonight" calls. Understated, mellow, though now becoming cliche. But if Buck continues to do games with McCarver, his voice will be like music. McCarver is a cross between Dan Dierdorf (with the proclmations from on high and the tendency to harp on minor plays for an entire game) and Bill Walton, the former player who has no clue how to speak the ideas in his head in a way that isn't annoying as hell.

12. Piotr Rasputin

He's better . . . . . and to be honest, I didn't think he was badgering Bob Knight all that badly.

But he's still not ESPN-special. But that's the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted