1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Single Baseball Call

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 18, 2007.

1. From the end of Harry's run, when WGN was a WB affiliate.

"Up next we've got Buffy the Vampire Slayer. HEY STEVE! Have ya seen this girl? I'd like to slay HER, hehehe..."

Stoney's reply? "Um..."

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"If you have seen one peice of ash, you have seen them all."

- Richie Ashburn to Larry Christianson after the latter brought back some of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens

"That's sick"

- Harry Caray after a pinch hitter watches strike three (fastball down mainstreet) with the bases juiced in the bottom of the ninth

This was so great because he was alone in the booth, right? Costas and Joe G were in the locker rooms, right?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Skip Carey developed a similar habit on Braves broadcasts. When a foul ball was hit into the stands "... and that foul ball was caught by a fan from Cartersville, Georgia ... and the Braves would like to welcome John Sizemore and son visiting the Launching Pad tonight."

4. 93Devil

"Hey Steve, here comes Raphael Santana. Santana, how do you say that backwards? Antatsas?"

5. Why did this thread take so long to get to the Shot Heard 'Round the World? Isn't that the most famous baseball call -- and perhaps the most famous sports call -- of all time?

6. 93Devil

Greatest sports call?

Down goes Frazier!!! Down goes Frazier!!!

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That wasn't the question. Besides, it would be Michaels' Miracle on Ice.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Doc nailed it.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No question.

10. 93Devil

You are right. It should be a in its own thread. I just could not resist.

Baseball...

I think I gave my all time favs. I cannot think of any others right now.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Jerry Coleman of the Padres:

"Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"So the winning run is at second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson. Little roller up along first... behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!"

Well, at least for the outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted