1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest shortstop ever - who do you pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh come on now, Bubbs.

There has to be room for Carroll Hardy among the greatest OF. After all, he is the only player to have pinch hit for Ted Williams.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The upset of the year is Manky failing to nominate Brian Doyle as all-time best second baseman based on his 1978 World Series.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

What the human body is capable of has changed rapidly in the last century. Once it was thought impossible for man to run a 4-minute mile. Now that is routine. Do you really believe that today's best pitchers don't throw any harder than their counterparts from 100 years ago?

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

You should read up on him, seriously. The Tigers have four great outfielders in '68: Kaline (a Hall of Famer), Horton (who made the defensive play that changed the entire series by throwing out Flood at the plate in game 5), Northrup and Stanley. Mayo Smith made the gamble of moving Stanley to SS for the World Series, a position he had never played before, and it worked out. Oyler was always a fan favorite in Detroit and well respected for stepping aside in that Series.

Are these just last 50 years? Even so, Larry Walker is a curious choice. I think Ichiro deserves some mention. Also I can name several dozen centerfielders better than Williams.

Yes, because I am 150 years old and I used to be an area scout for John McGraw's Baltimore Orioles in the 1890s.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ernie Shore wants to know why Manky didn't mention him.

He is the only pitcher to ever throw a "perfect" game in a relief appearance.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Larry Walker at his peak was one of the best all-around players the game has seen.

Several dozen better than Bernie?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He's not saying that Wagner was similar to Jeter. He's saying the game hadn't changed as much from Wagner's era to Jeter's as other sports have in that time.

We all know Wagner wasn't similar to Jeter. He was better.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mike Schmidt, your greatest third baseman ever, finished his career with a .267 average.

Now that we're not cluttering up the baseball thread, are you really going to make it this easy? I know you are playing a game, but at least try to play it well.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Bernie ever do this?

and Larry Walker one of the best all-around players ever? How were his power numbers outside of the thin air of Denver? If I had to pick any rightfielder from the last 30 years I'd have guys like Kirk Gibson and Jorge Bell ahead of Walker.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A Mr. W.H. Mays, originally of Westfield, Ala., comes to mind when talking center fielders ...

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Throw out everyone's best and worst seasons and see what you have on the balance.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Honus Wagner
    2. John Henry Loyd
    3. Alex Rodriguez -- still the best SS on the Yankees roster.

Draft saved Draft deleted