1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest shortstop ever - who do you pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm dead serious when I say ....

Paul Zuvella.

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I actually have a baseball signed by him.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I would say George Mikan in basketball and Rocket Richard and Gordie Howe in hockey are in the discussion.

But the point is, if you're saying greatest EVER that doesn't mean greatest in recent memory or greatest since a certain to-be-determined point in time. Ever means since they started playing the game. With basketball and football the game has evolved to the point where almost everyone more than a generation ago can be taken out of the discussion (I wouldn't even put Montana in the discussion of greatest quarterbacks ever, that's how much the passing game in football has improved in the last 20 years or so). Baseball has seen monumental shifts (fielding improving when players began wearing gloves, the end of the dead ball era bringing the long-ball into the game, and the lowering of the mound in 1969) but Wagner's game is similar to Jeter's than basketball or football of 100 years ago are to the games today.

4. Bubbler

How is that possible? Jetes is going to be pissed you're cheating on him ... with an ex-Yankee no less!

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Good argument, but I wonder how you can make the claim that Wagner is similar to Jeter when no video exists of the game in the era that he played.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

This was pre-Jeter. Got it when he was managing in the minor leagues in the mid-90s. First autographed ball I ever got.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm going to limit it to only players that played post-integration.

Wagner played against a much weaker pool of talent in his time than modern players.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But this is a lot like Manky's argument about Jeter not winning an MVP. He thinks the same applies to this.

9. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

with statistics

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=wagneho01

10. Bubbler

Rabbit Maranville would kick Jeter's ass.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I really think pre-NY, A-Rod had the greatest peak for all around SS play. His Seattle and Texas years were mind-boggling, along with his sure-handed SS play.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I led my team in RBIs once in little league. That's as relevant to the modern game as Wagner's stats from 110 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted