1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest shortstop ever - who do you pick?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

ESPN's Senior Writer David Schoenfield picks Jeter.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/howard-120830/derek-jeter-hits-matchless-level-38

I agree with him...it's pretty tough to argue Ripken or Larkin or Ozzie are/were better. If you have to go back 100 years to come up with Honus Wagner, you've lost the argument.

I'm also "outing" outofplace as ESPN's Eric Karabell - he actually tried to argue that ARod should've taken Jeter's spot at shortstop when he came over to the Yankees!

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Make mine Thon.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Serious replies only, please.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think we should make this Manky's new masturbation thread.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Honus

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

If we 1) limit the discussion to regular season stats, and 2) assume that ARod would've put up the same numbers from 2004-2012 playing SS, I can see an argument for ARod as greatest ever.

But, Jeter has it all over him in the postseason, and ARod probably wouldn't have been able to withstand the physical demands of playing SS.

Ripken is the only one that I can see challenging Jeter. Up until about 5 years ago I would have ranked him ahead of Jeter in career value.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

In no other sport would someone that peaked over a century ago be included in a serious discussion of the game's all time greats. I don't think anyone pre Babe Ruth should be considered (maybe Ty Cobb).

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No outing!

And Karabell is right. At the time, Rodriguez was a much better shortstop. It wasn't even close.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

There was no way Steinbrenner was going to ask a 4-time World champion to move off his position to accommodate a losing player. ARod came to NY to ride Jeter's coattails to a World Series ring.

Seattle got better when ARod left, Texas got worse when he arrived. NY won six AL pennants in the eight years before he arrived, they've won one since.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well given that the NFL, NHL and NBA are all less than 100 years old, I'm sure you're right

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK, is there anyone in those leagues that played over 50 years ago that still gets consideration as the game's greatest player? No.

Draft saved Draft deleted