1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest sentence you've READ recently

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Her hips twitched and trembled as each fireball from Oliver's powerful cannon erupted like molten lava into the quivering mouth of her ever-fluttering love purse. "

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Tommy, it's from "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien. If you've never read it, go buy a copy of the book TODAY.

-----

Here is a simple one, but a good one:

"A boxer, like a writer, must stand alone." -- A.J. Liebling, The Sweet Science

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

"Here's how I want the phyony little conniving, no-talent, preppiewad asshole of an editor to die: I lace his decaf with Seconal and strap him down in such a way that his head is fastened to my desk and I thump him at cheery intervals with the carriage on my Olympia standard."

Dan Jenkins, "You Gotta Play Hurt."

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

OK, so I did not read far enough to see somebody beat me to it.
    Great minds!!!

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Of course, could any greatest-sentence discussion be complete without mentioning halogen heat and Nintendo curveballs?

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been interested in getting that book for a while, but I will do it sooner than later now. I'll even buy a copy for my dad.

7. maberger

maberger Member

roger kahn in this morning's LA Times: "It turns out that Pete Rose was the Vietnam of ball players."

Draft saved Draft deleted