1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest sentence you've READ recently

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by the_rookie, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, not end of thread. That 'un was pretty damn good, too. In second place in fact, just behind mine.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I am suddenly a HUGE fan of Junod. Read his piece on JOhn Walker Lindh in the June issue, maybe July, couldn't put it down. Called Jones to tell him that Junod is my new reason not to lose my love for journalism.

Amazing, amazing writer. Or he was in that piece. I'll check out this one as soon as it gets delivered.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Better Hunter S. Thompson than that:

"The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine.”

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Was that from Better than Sex?

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

It was a dark and stormy night.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It was a tale of two halves.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Isn't it pretty to think so?" Hemingway, "The Sun Also Rises." Applies on so many levels.

"The first time I saw Brenda she asked me to hold her glasses." Goodbye, Columbus. Ultimate working-class geek/rich girl love story.

8. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

From earlier today, as part of a conversation between a 7-year-old explorer, William, and an ancient one-legged man he encounters in Graham Greene's "Under the Garden:"

"'News is news however old it is ... A cat's a cat even when it's a dead cat. We get rid of it when it's smelly, but news never smells, however long it's dead. News keeps. And it comes round again whenyou least expect. Like thunder."

Overall, easily this line from Tobias Wolff's "A Bullet in the Brain:"

"Time for shadows to lengthen on the grass, time for the tethered dog to bark at the flying ball, time for the boy in right field to smack his sweat blackened mitt and softly chant, They is, they is, they is."

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's what I was gonna say. I've read both, but the line you quoted seemed like it came from HST's "eulogy" of Nixon at the tail end of Better than Sex.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

The first page of "Your Gotta Play Hurt" is simply loaded with great sentences, starting with the very first:

Here’s how I want the phony little conniving, no-talent, preppiewad asshole of an editor to die: I lace his decaf with Seconal and strap him down in such a way that his head is fastened to my desk and I thump him at cheery intervals with the carriage on my Olympia standard.

If you want the truth, I was doing three of my favorite things: smoking, drinking, and not giving a shit.

I used to go to sleep dreaming about pussy. Now I went to sleep dreaming about killing people.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Welcome, O life! I go to encounter for the millionth time the reality of experience and to forge in the smithy of my soul the uncreated conscience of my race.'

Draft saved Draft deleted