1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest scenes in TV history

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I've recently been watching "The Wire" and "The West Wing" and been reminded of some of the best dramatic scenes in recent television history. And, I thought I'd share a few videos of some of my favorite scenes from some of my favorite TV shows. As a television addict, I look forward to seeing what you have to add.

(these are in no particular order)

"The Wire" -- Avon and Stringer's final scene together:

"The West Wing" -- President Bartlet's scene in in "The Two Cathedrals":

"The West Wing" -- A funny clip of Leo and Margaret and talk of a possible coup:

"Six Feet Under" -- Clare's drive to New York and what lies ahead:

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"...you feckless thug."

"You get Hoynes"

3. I couldn't find the SportsNight clip I was thinking of when I read this post. I wanted the one where Isaac comes back from his stroke right after Dana says, "I just can't take anymore bad news today."

Here's another dramatic highlight instead -- Dan's drug apology.

How about Bartlett quoting the Bible to the right-wing chick?

I'm sure there are some good Sopranos scenes to include too, though I can't think of one that clearly outshines the rest.

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel... Henry Blake's plane... was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors." (I can't find this on YouTube)

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'll give you some dramatic moments (Warning-> I have a VERY eclectic taste in television shows).

1. Lost- The Man Behind The Curtain: Realizing at the end of the the third season that what we were witnessing was actually a flash-forward and not a flash-back, with the ultimate pay off of Jack telling Kate: "We have to go back" blew my freaking mind.

2. Friends- The One With The Prom Video: This one caught me off guard too, but in a different way. The whole Ross having a crush on Rachel thing was always a personal fave of mine and the leadup to their first real kiss was amazing. Call me by whatever girly name you want, this was a great episode and a great moment in tv history.

3. The Shield- Season One Finale: The end of this episode really caught me by surprise. Seeing Vic Mackey tear his house apart and end up in a beat-down, wrecked shell of a man was unlike anything i'd ever seen on a television show and it was just flat out intense.
    4. House- Euphoria: Watching Foremen break down and run the emotional gambet still haunts me to this day when i watch this show. I've always been able to break away from a show and see the ultimate payoff at the end, and while it was true for this and i knew he'd be fine, Omar Epp's portrayl really resonated with me and had me convinced that this was a man who was dying.
    5. Heroes- Season One Finale: While many were disappointed with the way the first season of this show ended, I thougth it was terrific. I caught on late to the hype, but watched the finale intently. The ultimate payoff with Nathan flying Peter away, to me, was awesome.
    6. Survivor- The Austrailian Outback Finale: I was never really big into the reality TV thing, but once I saw the finale of the first season of survivor, i kind of dug it. This episode, which closed out season two (and subsequently the only full year of the show I watched week for week on tv) was just brilliantly crafted and I really did not know who the ultimate winner was going to be. The excitement in the last couple of moments still gives me goosebumps.
    7. The Sopranos: From Where to Eternity- Christopher gets shot and is in the hospital nearing his death. While there were a lot of moments from this show i could have picked, i felt that this one left a lasting image to me in the sense that these mob guys know what may ultimately await them, and they're scared, but when push comes to shove, they'll still do what is neccessary to make it to the next day. Michael Imperiolli's acting in this storyline was flat out superb.
    8. 24-Day Six, 9am-10am-> Many people didn't like the sixth season of 24, but damn if it didn't get off to a great start. In this episode, Jack finally starts to get back into the routine and is trying to protect Assad, but ultimately ends up having to kill Curtis (a big surprise and very visually disturbing scene) before a nuclear bomb goes off in Valencia. Drama ensues.
    9. WWE Monday Night Raw-> I know, it's only wrestling, but for me, this show has had dozens of edge-of-my-seat moments. The one that really stands out to me right now is the whole WCW invasion angle and the way it began. I couldn't believe what was unfolding in front of my eyes and literally thought about it for the entire week until the next episode. Granted, ultimately it was a bit of a dissappointment, but hey, that's the WWE for you.

and lastly...

10. Super Bowl XXXVI: I know it shouldn't count because it's a sport, but when I watched Adam Vinatieri kick a game-winning field goal as time expired, I could barely breath, i was sweating bullets and after it sailed through the uprights, I tackled my brother to the ground, erupted in joy and ran out of my house and up and down the block screaming for upwards of 20 minutes. Probably one of the greatest moments of my life right there.

So, there you have it. Discuss.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Dick:

7. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

The last scene of Freaks and Geeks where Lindsay meets up with the Deadheads left me depressed for a couple of days. I bought it on DVD and knew that was the only season. Great ending, but heartbreaking as well.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Damn, sonnnn.....

That is some fucking breakdown.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tears to Ripple.... that's my personal title for the episode.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

"Freaks and Geeks" -- Scene mentioned above:

11. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Great thread...

1) Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: Will's deadbeat dad has parachuted back into his life, making Will forget all of his heartache. Early in the episode, he yells at Uncle Phil for not understanding his willingness to forgive. Then, after planning a summer cross-country road trip, Will's father – played by Ben Vereen — has to bail for work. Uncle Phil consoles will.
    When I was 10 and I first saw this episode on NBC, I bawled. What an emotional scene by two great actors. Truly showed the depths of this great comedy.

2) Frasier: David Hyde Pierce in a scene of true comedic genius. Any fan of the show knows Niles Crane's incredible pickiness. Watch what happens hen he wants to iron out a wrinkle.

3) Entourage: Ari is fired and freaks out. Lloyd gives a little pep talk.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

alex p. keaton coming to grips with his friend's death while talking to a shrink you never see ... the entire episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted