1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest PTBNL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Acro(batic) nym(ph)s?

[​IMG]

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

John Edwards, by the newspapers, as soon as the Enquirer prints better photos.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Back to the subject at hand (and I really don't think the thread is that dumb):

Shortstop Jose Gonzalez, who was traded to the Giants in the 1980s and then soon after changed his last name to Uribe.

Also, Harry Chiti, a Mets catcher, was traded for himself in the 1960s.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Was David Ortiz a PTBNL?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And it is redundant to say "player to be named later." It's just "player to be named."
    If he isn't in the trade now, obviously he is going to be named "later."

Unless, of course, he's setting a new record.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Two trades that come to mind, but I don't think they were coined as "PTBN"

John Smoltz (Doyle Alexander deal between Detroit and Atlanta)
    Jeff Bagwell (Larry Andersen deal between Boston and Houston)

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Bobby Hill. ::)

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Free agent signing for the Sox, but he was a PTBN in a deal that sent him from Seattle to Minnesota. Seattle received Dave Hollins from the Twins

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I believe Bags was included in the deal from the get-go, but I could be wrong.

10. he was, beaker.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This reminds me of my favorite Sportspickle:

Player to Be Named Later Acquired for Player to Be Named Later

The St. Louis Cardinals and Seattle Mariners pulled off a major trade, or perhaps a minor one, minutes before last Thursday’s trade deadline when St. Louis dealt a player to be named later to Seattle for a player to be named later.
    “We needed to get pitching for the playoff chase and this trade may or may not have gotten it for us,” said Walt Jocketty, St. Louis general manager. “We’re potentially very excited.”
    “People have given us flack over the years for not acquiring players that we need before the trade deadline,” said Pat Gillick, Seattle general manager. “This year that can’t be said. If and when we get this player, he could make a very big impact for us. Or not, I suppose.”
    Both Jocketty and Gillick said the players to be named later have not been agreed on and neither knows if the deal will be consummated before the end of the season.
    “It would be great if we got someone really good though,” said Gillick.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I MADE A SIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU MUSTANGJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck off, haters!

EDIT: In all honesty, I kinda stole it from Babar...just used it in a different context.

Draft saved Draft deleted