1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Opening Synthesizer Riff by a Band Named After a Continent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I have to go with Europe on this one. I used to loathe that song because it was played quite frequently at my junior prom. The only other song I remember from that night was Billy Idol's "To Be a Lover" but that was only because it was on the radio while I was getting stinky pinky from this big titted ex-girlfriend of mine [she was already an ex] in the back seat of my friend's mom's 1985 Monte Carlo on the way back home.

I also concur that G.O.B. is the sole reason why I now tolerate that song. On the rare occasion that I hear it outside of AD I think of G.O.B. and that makes me smile.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Back in the mid '80s, when I was always waaaaay too broke to not live in a dorm, there were a couple of music majors rooming together about four doors down. EVERY FUCKING DAY after class, one or the other would hop on the keyboard and start playing Final Countdown. I HATE that fucking song thanks to some geeky 19 year old who couldn't get through the sixth bar without tripping over his own fingers.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Asia, in a lesser of two evils selection.

And if we substitute the word guitar in place of synthesizer, the correct answer would be "Heat of the Moment."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the funniest moments in the history of South Park is when Cartman sings "Heat of the Moment" in front of Congress...

I proudly own Asia's greatest hits, even if only about three songs actually qualify as hits...

Make fun of Europe all you like, but that entire "Final Countdown" album was pretty amazing back in good old 1987...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I vote Asia because they are musicians with some skins on the wall (Yes, King Crimson, ELP, etc.)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why is this even a debate? Asia is pure awesomeness.

No one even wants to listen to "The Final Countdown" in its entirety. But when "Heat of the Moment" comes on, you want to listen to the entire Asia catalog.

Europe was a bad Journey wannabe band. Asia crushes them.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The worst thing about Europe: Their singer smiled all the way through all of their videos. There's no smiling in rock 'n' roll.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Europe open for Def Leppard in 1987. They weren't bad except for the fact that they only played for 30 minutes despite playing Final Countdown three times...

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for an MTV series called "Plugged." I'm sure we'll hear great electric versions of Horse with No Name and Sister Golden Hair.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You have it backwards. The synth riff at the start of "The Final Countdown" rips off Asia's "Only Time Will tell," which predates the Europe song by about five years.

For that reason alone, Europe is full of fail. Asia wins.

(Yes, you're full of fail too. :D )

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In a related question:
    Is it better to be stabbed with a screwdriver or a steak knife?
    You're answer will affect my opinion of you.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm not voting *for* Asia as much as I am voting *against* Europe. Three years covering a minor league hockey team who came out for third-period warmups EVERY FREAKIN' GAME to "The Final Countdown" makes it so, so, so full of fail, fail, fail

Draft saved Draft deleted