1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Obit Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

R.I.P., Bitch Dolores Aguilar

[​IMG]
    Warms the heart, doesn't it?

Above obit found in the Times-Herald Napa/Sonoma. Oh, and be sure to read the guestbook here. (Thanks Jameth!)

UPDATE I: Cruel obit page pulled late Sunday afternoon. Huh. Fake obit at Vallejo Times-Herald? Change of heart? Trickery? Stay tuned.

UPDATE II: It's real, folks. Read more about it here. http://sfist.com/2008/08/17/rip_bitch_dolores_aguilar.php

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Deeper_Background: Nov. 29, 2004-Aug. 19, 2008

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Time for a vacation.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I thought this was about the Yankees' obit Yahoo Sports ran last night ...

5. I don't know abou tte greatest but I bet the damn thing is probably the truest one written.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not to give credit to deeper_douchenozzle, but the backstory behind the obit seems interesting. The paper apparently made the family bring in the death certificate before they would publish it.

Surprised something like this hasn't happened before considering the rise of paid obits.

7. fair enough, fh, but newspapers reject ads on occasion for taste and standards. why not do the same for obits?

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

After a paper in my hometown went to paid obits, it had to run an obit about Elmer "Hitler" Underwood. The obit wasn't as cruel as the one here, but turns out the nickname was legit and just given because the guy was a real prick -- and he answered to it. Turned into a great follow-up feature for one reporter.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That is not the greatest obit ever because it didn't say anything at all about trains, trucks, prison or gettin' drunk.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Or the rain.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm not that paper's publisher. Last time I checked, blood still runs through my veins and I can walk about during the day.

Personally, unless there was something blatantly false or deceptive, I'd run it. I might ask each and every surviving family member listed if they agreed with it first.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Life ain't necessarily a country song.

Draft saved Draft deleted