1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greatest Novel of All-Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Even on a list of 16, I'm not sure it should. To Az's point, while I have nothing but good memories of reading To Kill a Mockingbird, I would place All the King's Men ahead of it.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To get your panties in a bundle about a single book's omission on a list that shitty is futile.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good point, no more complaining from me.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The estates of messrs. Faulkner and Hemingway are going to send A. Huffington some very sternly worded notes this evening, I assure you. Very sternly worded indeed.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That's why I used my opening clause. I have a bunch of problems with choices on the list, but that doesn't mean All the King's Men should definitely be on it.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Orwell estate assumes it's a conspiracy of censorship.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The Dick estate feels the list is a drug-induced hallucination.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

On behalf of William Gaddis and Edith Wharton, Thomas Pynchon is driving crosscountry in an astrodiaper with a trunkload of duct tape and pepper spray in order to ask the creators of such a bracket 'WTF'?

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Foster Wallace estate doesn't exist and wouldn't care even if it did.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Some of the books on that list, I read in high school or college and didn't think they were anything special at all... Maybe that's what happens with great books when something is required reading.

I remember Lolita being an exception. The Great Gatsby was an exception. Moby Dick was an exception.

I'm stunned For Whom the Bell Tolls isn't on that list. Count of Monte Cristo was another one I read in school and loved.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, The Count of Monte Cristo and Catcher in the Rye are three I would have expected to see on the list, based on its own standards.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know it's considered cliche, but other than Mark Twain's masterpieces, "Catcher in the Rye" was one of the first "classics" that I truly loved.

I read it in eighth grade and I liked it so much that I started to try to read as many of the "classics" as possible, and more often than not, I was disappointed.

Draft saved Draft deleted